• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frequent Delta Travelers

doubledeac

Reaction score
I have been searching for the answer to my question for some time but have not happened to come across my exact scenario. If I book an award ticket using miles, then miss my flight, do I forfeit the miles and simply not have a ticket any longer? OR.. will they rebook me on a later flight, and if so, how much is the fee? Thanks Pit.

I don't have an actual answer to your question, but I would assume that delta will fuck you over. I will never fly a delta or a delta affiliate again. That includes KLM and Air France. They are the fucking worst. Delta lied, lied about lying, lied some more and then basically told me to go fuck myself. I ultimately got my money back, but not because of them. I had to call in the big guns (Amex) to get it resolved

I have been searching for the answer to my question for some time but have not happened to come across my exact scenario. If I book an award ticket using miles, then miss my flight, do I forfeit the miles and simply not have a ticket any longer? OR.. will they rebook me on a later flight, and if so, how much is the fee? Thanks Pit.

Depends on what you're talking about. If it's truly a case of missing your flight and you show up to the airport within a couple hours of when you were supposed to fly, they will probably accommodate you on a later flight that day under the unofficial "flat tire rule," though it's at the discretion of the agents. Make sure you have a good story that doesn't include that you saw this coming a long time ago and posted on a message board about it.

If you know within 24 hours of your flight that you are going to miss it, you can call ahead and try to do Same Day Confirmed for a later flight, which I believe has a $50 fee. Depending on the price of the award ticket you buy, this can be close to impossible as the same fare class needs to be available and there often aren't low level awards left on the day of travel

If you know that you're not going to take the flight at least 72 hours in advance then you can cancel it and redeposit the miles in your account for a $150 fee (waived if you are a Platinum or Diamond Medallion). Keep in mind that if it's a round trip award ticket, you can't cancel the return leg after you have flown the outbound leg, so if you think that scenario might happen, you may want to book it as two separate one-way awards.

If you get into the situation where you book the ticket and then realize well in advance that you will have to cancel it (as in before 72 hours), you should wait until closer to 72 hours to cancel because if there is a schedule change on your itinerary in the meantime you will be able to cancel it and redeposit the miles for no fee. Same scenario if you're under 72 hours but decide you're just going to eat the miles rather than pay the redeposit fee - even if you're not going to take the flight keep an eye open for significant delays, etc. that will allow you to cancel without penalty

Last edited:
I don't have an actual answer to your question, but I would assume that delta will fuck you over. I will never fly a delta or a delta affiliate again. That includes KLM and Air France. They are the fucking worst. Delta lied, lied about lying, lied some more and then basically told me to go fuck myself. I ultimately got my money back, but not because of them. I had to call in the big guns (Amex) to get it resolved

Why didn't you go straight to Amex at the first sign of trouble?

Depends on what you're talking about. If it's truly a case of missing your flight and you show up to the airport within a couple hours of when you were supposed to fly, they will probably accommodate you on a later flight that day under the unofficial "flat tire rule," though it's at the discretion of the agents. Make sure you have a good story that doesn't include that you saw this coming a long time ago and posted on a message board about it.

If you know within 24 hours of your flight that you are going to miss it, you can call ahead and try to do Same Day Confirmed for a later flight, which I believe has a $50 fee. Depending on the price of the award ticket you buy, this can be close to impossible as the same fare class needs to be available and there often aren't low level awards left on the day of travel

If you know that you're not going to take the flight at least 72 hours in advance then you can cancel it and redeposit the miles in your account for a $150 fee (waived if you are a Platinum or Diamond Medallion). Keep in mind that if it's a round trip award ticket, you can't cancel the return leg after you have flown the outbound leg, so if you think that scenario might happen, you may want to book it as two separate one-way awards.

If you get into the situation where you book the ticket and then realize well in advance that you will have to cancel it (as in before 72 hours), you should wait until closer to 72 hours to cancel because if there is a schedule change on your itinerary in the meantime you will be able to cancel it and redeposit the miles for no fee. Same scenario if you're under 72 hours but decide you're just going to eat the miles rather than pay the redeposit fee - even if you're not going to take the flight keep an eye open for significant delays, etc. that will allow you to cancel without penalty

Yep, all of this. I missed a flight booked on miles because of traffic, made it to the airport late and they did the standard rebook to the next available flight, no fee, no extra miles. But, if you have already booked it, you are going to have to pay something if you are cancelling or changing it in advance.

Forgot to add, if you are diamond, this is not the case, I think the fee is waved if you cancel more than 3 days in advance.

Forgot to add, if you are diamond, this is not the case, I think the fee is waved if you cancel more than 3 days in advance.

Yes, Diamonds and Plats can redeposit with no fee. This is actually a huge benefit because you can book an award at a higher level and if a lower level one becomes available later (which happens fairly frequently) you can cancel and rebook for no fee

Back