• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

From the quad, conspicuous absence

B sounds terrible to say as an ACC school. No other ACC school would come out publicly and say that. Saying A is basically the same as stipulating not to talk about it.
I mean when you're asking your football coach to take a 10% pay cut and everybody else in the administration? Everybody knows what the deal is is not some big crime to honestly admit we're in a unique situation as one of the smallest P5 schools. Or just say you're focused on ensuring the continued success of sports at wake and making sure that our student/athletes and athletic department members are safe and getting the support they need.

Plenty of different answer non-answers you could give while still giving off the impression that you're not hiding from answering questions.

I mean when you're asking your football coach to take a 10% pay cut and everybody else in the administration? Everybody knows what the deal is is not some big crime to honestly admit we're in a unique situation as one of the smallest P5 schools. Or just say you're focused on ensuring the continued success of sports at wake and making sure that our student/athletes and athletic department members are safe and getting the support they need.

Plenty of different answer non-answers you could give while still giving off the impression that you're not hiding from answering questions.

Queue up every other ACC school saying, why is Wake Forest even in the ACC? They're too small to compete. They're broke and can't afford to give their athletes the same advantages we can. Now you're fucked in recruiting and as a national brand. You've taken a school with a reputation of being small, but elite and punching above its weight class with their smarts, to holy shit the whole thing is a giant shit show, lets go poach their really good football coach next year and leave them with nothing.

Or you can correctly do what Currie is doing, which is not talking about something you want to fix until you are positive the finances won't swing one way or the other. Leaving the door open to fire Manning and make a splash hire if the finances make a quick turnaround.

Queue up every other ACC school saying, why is Wake Forest even in the ACC? They're too small to compete. They're broke and can't afford to give their athletes the same advantages we can. Now you're fucked in recruiting and as a national brand. You've taken a school with a reputation of being small, but elite and punching above its weight class with their smarts, to holy shit the whole thing is a giant shit show, lets go poach their really good football coach next year and leave them with nothing.

Do you see people saying that about Boston College? Because that's what they pretty much did. If somebody wants to come poach our coach for more money, then the 10% voluntary pay cut speaks volumes more than some off-handed comment that the AD makes to the local beat writer.

This is a minor thing to squabble over.

Do you see people saying that about Boston College? Because that's what they pretty much did. If somebody wants to come poach our coach for more money, then the 10% voluntary pay cut speaks volumes more than some off-handed comment that the AD makes to the local beat writer.

This is a minor thing to squabble over.

BC doesn't have a coach anyone wants to poach. They just fired their football coach. Clawson voluntarily made a 10% donation, it wasn't mandated. That being said, if he has another good season (assuming there is one) and less than 12 months ago the AD made a public statement about being too poor, it would make Wake an easy target for any good P5 school looking for a coaching upgrade.

BC doesn't have a coach anyone wants to poach. They just fired their football coach. Clawson voluntarily made a 10% donation, it wasn't mandated. That being said, if he has another good season (assuming there is one) and less than 12 months ago the AD made a public statement about being too poor, it would make Wake an easy target for any good P5 school looking for a coaching upgrade.

So the athletic department asking the head coach to take a 10% pay cut (voluntary or not) wouldn't make the coach an easy target to poach, but a statement by the AD indicating that these are challenging financial times would? I pretty much agree with you on this subject, but I think you are splitting some strange hairs here.

If a big time program wants to come after Clawson, then they will come after him and offer him a big dollar contract. If Wake really wanted to futilly attempt to hide our financial situation, then wouldn't have publicized the pay cuts at all.

Last edited:
The second half of his tenure vs his first half provides some perspective.

I like Clawson but he is 36-40 at Wake. His ACC record is 16-32. Big programs have not beaten down the door for a reason. Wake fans lose all perspective sometimes.

You really can't count his first two years against him. He inherited a flaming bag of shit. 4 consecutive winnings seasons in a division with FSU, Louisville, and Clemson is pretty solid man.

I like Clawson and I’m perfectly happy he’s Wake’s coach. But 36-40 (16-32) explains why he’s not at a bigger program. That’s all.

I like Clawson and I’m perfectly happy he’s Wake’s coach. But 36-40 (16-32) explains why he’s not at a bigger program. That’s all.

After two years of program building and consecutive 3-9 seasons, Clawson is 30-22 over four years. That's a great run of success at Wake Forest and he doesn't seem likely to run the thing into a ditch the way Grobe did, which basically caused the two 3-9 seasons.

Do some of you morons even follow wake football? The guy hascs shit record because Grobe hit the links and left him a shit sandwich worth of talent. I don't recall the source but ACC head coach rankings on Twitter the other day he was near the top. This is unprecedented sustained success for Wake forest. That's not smoke and mirrors. The man knows what he's doing.

The Manning should resign crew needs a reality check. He’d have to be a moron to walk away from the paycheck. We gave him the contract he’s entitled to the money. If we can’t raise the funds/ sack up and fire him that’s not his fault.

The Manning should resign crew needs a reality check. He’d have to be a moron to walk away from the paycheck. We gave him the contract he’s entitled to the money. If we can’t raise the funds/ sack up and fire him that’s not his fault.

Seriously

So the athletic department asking the head coach to take a 10% pay cut (voluntary or not) wouldn't make the coach an easy target to poach, but a statement by the AD indicating that these are challenging financial times would? I pretty much agree with you on this subject, but I think you are splitting some strange hairs here.

If a big time program wants to come after Clawson, then they will come after him and offer him a big dollar contract. If Wake really wanted to futilly attempt to hide our financial situation, then wouldn't have publicized the pay cuts at all.

Regarding the Covid impact on our AD finances due to potential lack of football this coming season, yeah it would hurt us badly. However, the Wake football program makes far less than the vast majority of P5 programs. They will be losing much more than us. Think of the financial impact on the schools if Clemson, Bama, UGA, ND, etc did not have football this fall. Imagine they would all have massive cutbacks in every part of their AD. We’re all in similar positions.

Right.
We already get that shit from the former Big East ACC schools' fanbases all the damn time. Do we really want everyone else to publicly start doing it too?

Back