• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review / Bye Week and Army Game Thread

There's a re-run of the game on fox sports Carolinas at 7 if anyone wants to rewatch our stellar performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No excuse for losing that damn game. It was an absolute choke. Not going for it on 4th twice when we were on em shows where our head was. Then thinking Washington was actually ever going to make a play. Panicky throwing deep. Just a pathetic effort.

Wolford just isn't good enough to win consistently at this level. Gutty player, and what a game vs. Syracuse. Just need to move on as fast as we can. Kearns needs some run. We need to see if he can play.

We threw almost twice as much against Army as against Cuse.

So are we going to get a Army Game Review thread from 94 or did he just throw up his hands after that one and decide to get a life?

I *really* think the weather had a lot to do with that...

Seriously, it made no sense last Saturday. No, it wasn't raining or as windy as the Cuse game, but it was still windy and you have a QB who has trouble throwing deep in perfect conditions and you have him throw it deep a bunch of times?

Wolford and Hinton sharing the top spot on the depth chart again. Any word on Hinton's status for Saturday?

At his press conference yesterday, Clawson said that Wolford was the starting QB, and the Kearns would continue to get reps in practice. While he left open the possibility of Hinton returning for the game, his tone made the possibility seem remote.

BTW, Clawson addressed the reason why WF threw the ball so much in the 2nd half against Army:

- Army walked their safeties up to the line to take away the run, leaving the Army corners exposed;
- The coaches felt they had one on one advantages against the Army corners (Clawson said Army had been vulnerable to the deep ball in other games);
- Clawson acknowledged that WF threw deep 11 times with one completion;
- The fault for the failure to complete deep passes fell on: a) the receivers for failing to get separation when facing one on one coverage from corners that they should be able to beat; b) the quarterback failing to make throws that he should make.

FWIW, Clawson said that they had poor practices at the end of last week before Army; Clawson has been happy with the practices this week. The team seemed "locked in". He also said that other than the QB position, the team is healthy.

It seems kind of illusory since Clawson said this week I believe that Hinton hasn't been "cleared to play".

I wish he'd just leave Hinton off the depth chart then.

Saturday seems like a must-win.

I don't like the idea of having to beat a 5 win BC team in front of 30 people on Thanksgiving weekend

At his press conference yesterday, Clawson said that Wolford was the starting QB, and the Kearns would continue to get reps in practice. While he left open the possibility of Hinton returning for the game, his tone made the possibility seem remote.

BTW, Clawson addressed the reason why WF threw the ball so much in the 2nd half against Army:

- Army walked their safeties up to the line to take away the run, leaving the Army corners exposed;
- The coaches felt they had one on one advantages against the Army corners (Clawson said Army had been vulnerable to the deep ball in other games);
- Clawson acknowledged that WF threw deep 11 times with one completion;
- The fault for the failure to complete deep passes fell on: a) the receivers for failing to get separation when facing one on one coverage from corners that they should be able to beat; b) the quarterback failing to make throws that he should make.

FWIW, Clawson said that they had poor practices at the end of last week before Army; Clawson has been happy with the practices this week. The team seemed "locked in". He also said that other than the QB position, the team is healthy.

Observation about Clawson and staff. It seems they really focus in on what the opposing defense is doing and trying to take advantage of the weak spots, which is of course what you want to do, duh. However, I think maybe they go a little bit too far in that thinking. Throwing the ball deep is not exactly a strong point for our offense with Wolford at QB and our group of receivers, so just because that's where Army's defense may be weaker, doesn't mean our personal is suited to take advantage of it. I think we should've made more of a commitment to the running game, I think Carney got 4 or 5 carries and Colborn 7 or 8???? I'm not saying you don't throw deep at all, but 11 times and not even really trying to set up the play action game with the run game was very strange. Sometimes I think you've got to say we're going to play to our strengths and impose our will a little bit despite what the opposing defense is doing.

Reminds me of LD Williams shooting threes because he was open.

Army was daring us to throw deep and we fell for it.

Coach Clawson on his radio show: "Looking back we should have been more patient and run the ball more instead of throwing the ball as much." 'YA THINK?! :tard:

At least he realized it.

All the more reason every team needs a "smart guy" on the sidelines who had nothing to do with the gameplan to just tell the coaching staff completely obvious things they miss in the heat of battle like when to go for 2, calling timeouts, and to just run the damn ball when you're picking up 5+ yards a carry.

Back