• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review

One interesting note on the near miss punt block in the first half against FSU: he said that Jonathon Williams got to the punter too early. He actually overshot the ball. Clawson seemed so frustrated. It sounds like they were very confident going into the game that they could exploit that formation. Only to have Williams go past the ball. Unbelievable.

This is correct. It was easy to see on the TV replay. Williams was in the air and his torso was already past the punter's foot when it made contact with the ball. Truly rotten luck.

Notes from tonight’s Coach’s Show:

Rocky Reid will redshirt unless “disaster strikes”. This doesn’t come as a surprise as this has appeared to be the direction for a while now. He aggravated his ankle injury after returning to practice. Clawson said that Reid was recruited to play this year. He went through the strengths of each of the RBs and when he got to Reid he said “he had the opportunity to be the workhorse”. It’s pretty clear that Reid has a bright future at Wake – starting in 2016.

The most surprising info was that Clawson decided to play Wolford for only a very limited number of snaps on Saturday after Hinton was injured. There was no chance that he was going to finish the game though. If the medical staff had ruled Hinton out of the game he was going to put Kyle Kearns in. I was very surprised. Wolford seemed to be moving OK. If the redshirt stays on Kearns it will be interesting to see what becomes of the 5th year that almost wasn’t.

Wolford and Hinton have been splitting the reps 50/50 in practice this week.

A couple of quotes from Clawson that many of you will like. They came when Stan Cotton pressed him on a few instances where he was animated on the sideline: “If you want players to play with passion you have to coach with passion….I’m completely absorbed in the game” and “I fight for my players. I fight for my team. That’s my job”.

When asked about which players have been pleasant surprises on defense he named (in order): Zeek Rodney, Demetrius Kemp and Cameron Glenn. He said that when he got to Wake he received a call from a friend on the Auburn staff to tell him that Kemp was a hell of a player and that the Auburn staff had heavily debated taking him.

“If you want players to play with passion you have to coach with passion….I’m completely absorbed in the game” and “I fight for my players. I fight for my team. That’s my job”.

Grobe on the other hand would act like he needed to take a dump and hide....

Last edited:
Thanks for the recap. Hinton gives this team more options right now. His threat to run provides that half-second advantage to holding up the linebackers and giving our OL a chance to get a push. With a very thin OL, any advantage we can get is a huge plus IMHO.

Notes from tonight’s Coach’s Show:

Rocky Reid will redshirt unless “disaster strikes”. This doesn’t come as a surprise as this has appeared to be the direction for a while now. He aggravated his ankle injury after returning to practice. Clawson said that Reid was recruited to play this year. He went through the strengths of each of the RBs and when he got to Reid he said “he had the opportunity to be the workhorse”. It’s pretty clear that Reid has a bright future at Wake – starting in 2016.

The most surprising info was that Clawson decided to play Wolford for only a very limited number of snaps on Saturday after Hinton was injured. There was no chance that he was going to finish the game though. If the medical staff had ruled Hinton out of the game he was going to put Kyle Kearns in. I was very surprised. Wolford seemed to be moving OK. If the redshirt stays on Kearns it will be interesting to see what becomes of the 5th year that almost wasn’t.

Wolford and Hinton have been splitting the reps 50/50 in practice this week.

A couple of quotes from Clawson that many of you will like. They came when Stan Cotton pressed him on a few instances where he was animated on the sideline: “If you want players to play with passion you have to coach with passion….I’m completely absorbed in the game” and “I fight for my players. I fight for my team. That’s my job”.

When asked about which players have been pleasant surprises on defense he named (in order): Zeek Rodney, Demetrius Kemp and Cameron Glenn. He said that when he got to Wake he received a call from a friend on the Auburn staff to tell him that Kemp was a hell of a player and that the Auburn staff had heavily debated taking him.

“If you want players to play with passion you have to coach with passion….I’m completely absorbed in the game” and “I fight for my players. I fight for my team. That’s my job”.

Oh yes, heard that and I got a big smile. Ain't been a blade of artificial turf picked since a Clawson got here.

Last edited:
One more thing that I forgot. Clawson said that at one point in the offseason the coaching staff had Ryan Anderson ranked as one of the top 3 OLs in the program. I was caught off guard by the comment and didn't catch whether he said that was after spring practice or after summer camp.

Sad thing is that some of the guys on the other threads say we lost because our coaches aren't using modeling techniques based on statistical analysis where they should assign ridiculous percentages to different situations to make unreasonable decisions which hurt our chance to win. Some guy over there through in such unreasonable percentages that it came up with a 4% chance of winning by going for the TD and only a 2% chance of winning by going for the FG - which we all know is totally unrealistic.

Thank goodness Clawson didn't assign those crazy percentages otherwise we would not have kicked the field goal which gave us a great chance to take the game in overtime and win the game - much higher than 4%.

I agree that the coaches should call the best play based on the players on the field and avoid any temptation to call plays as if they were rolling a dice or spinning a wheel or playing a video game.

The guys played great and almost won, coaches gave us a chance to win. Let's not criticize the coaches in this thread, leave that for the statistical modeling threads where the guys know nothing about what really wins football games.

Apparently Coach C limped into his radio show last night in a walking boot- anyone know what happened?

Did he kick that ACC official in the ass for missing Hinton getting his head taken off!? :thumbsup:

Apparently Coach C limped into his radio show last night in a walking boot- anyone know what happened?

Did he kick that ACC official in the ass for missing Hinton getting his head taken off!? :thumbsup:

I think Stan instructed not to ask him about that?

Wondering if maybe he kicked something after Saturday's game?

Last edited:

:dancindeac:

Back