• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, PETER LUGER

Wake athletics has had an amazing year by any standard. That said, missing out on your best shot at the Sweet 16 in 18 years because dinner was just too good might be the most Wake Forest shit I've ever heard.

"Peter Luger used to sizzle. Now it sputters." Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes said Wednesday, as he took to podium after a shocking 82-77 overtime loss to Boston College.

"Was the Caesar salad always so drippy, the croutons always straight out of a bag, the grated cheese always so white and rubbery," said ACC Player-of-the-Year Alondes Williams, after cramping late in the second half.

“You start to wonder who really needs to go to Peter Luger, and start to think the answer is nobody," Jake LaRavia said, who finished the game with a team-high 21 points.

Next time, the Demon Deacons may try their luck at Red Lobster.

golden-corral-photo-by-bravo-six-niner-delta.jpg

Gritty Grimy Tough Together

Fucks sake. In having a hard time watching us slowly bleed out as the bubble swallows us hole.

I recognize that they have to put in 68 teams, but it’s not like we really deserve to go.

Yep. That’s what it comes down to. Win at Clemson and beat BC in Brooklyn and we’re talking seeding despite not beating a single ranked team and only 3 teams in the field. It’s not a high bar.

Yep. That’s what it comes down to. Win at Clemson and beat BC in Brooklyn and we’re talking seeding despite not beating a single ranked team and only 3 teams in the field. It’s not a high bar.

This.

I said elsewhere, we really only had to win one of Miami, Clemson, BC. If we sneak in to the play in. Just go prove we belong. Make it X, even better.

As for Peter Luger, well ok, who goes to NYC for steak, I'm from Texas where it comes from, I get better beef at my local butcher. I'd steak my reputation on that. :)

I understand why so many of us are salty but the GREAT Wake teams of the 90's and 2000's routinely went out for steak dinners at Ryan's Steakhouse in Winston-Salem before games (seen it mentioned many times in Wake lore / by former players). Attempting to blame one of the biggest reasons behind our success for a lackluster performance is a knee jerk reaction and terrible take. The team had a week off. They were coming off the emotional high of seeing their Coach win ACCCOY and their friend win ACCPOY. We were rusty, terrible on defense, and didn't' come close to playing to our ability. Instead of proving that we could hang with anyone and deserved to be in the tournament we showed that we can lose to anyone and might be better suited in the runner up tourney. That tourney was always the ceiling for many of us (I recall a poll on these boards where the majority agreed).

It's just the ways of which we lose that are so ridiculous. We consistently squander every single opportunity that we are given. It has very little to do with steaks or our arena that we play ball in. It has 100% to do with the fact that the basketball gods absolutely hate Wake Forest and want us to be miserable forever.

Last edited:
I mean we have the ball and our best players hand with 5 seconds left with a favorable matchup and no reason not to score or get fouled. Just about any top 35 team walks off with a victory there. If not, they steamroll the inferior team in overtime. But why can't we do that? Because the basketball gods absolutely hate us.

NC State is the only other program that even comes close to us in sports heartbreaks and unbelievable meltdowns.

Do you think there are any legitimate ways for a big donor to pay off the committee? Because I could see that being a thing, especially with the team like us that is desperate for attorney appearance and right on the bubble.

I understand why so many of us are salty but the GREAT Wake teams of the 90's and 2000's routinely went out for steak dinners at Ryan's Steakhouse in Winston-Salem before games (seen it mentioned many times in Wake lore / by former players). Attempting to blame one of the biggest reasons behind our success for a lackluster performance is a knee jerk reaction and terrible take. The team had a week off. They were coming off the emotional high of seeing their Coach win ACCCOY and their friend win ACCPOY. We were rusty, terrible on defense, and didn't' come close to playing to our ability. Instead of proving that we could hang with anyone and deserved to be in the tournament we showed that we can lose to anyone and might be better suited in the runner up tourney. That tourney was always the ceiling for many of us (I recall a poll on these boards where the majority agreed).

The team dinners at Ryan’s weren’t quite this seemingly overblown celebration. That said, I agree that the steak dinner wasn’t the reason why we lost, even if it was dumb. I disagree with the idea that we should be pleased based on preseason expectations, which were very low. This team got our hopes up and showed flashes of greatness. We have the ACC POY and a second teamer and a lot of excellent role players. If we don’t make some more noise, this has been a disappointment.

Back