• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fuck you, Science!

Some shitty open access social science journal publishes a sham paper and this is somehow a dig on science?

A different read:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ism-gender-studies-and-open-access-publishing

James Taylor, associate professor of philosophy at the College of New Jersey, wrote on the blog Bleeding Heart Libertarians that “it turns out that the joke’s on the hoaxers themselves -- both for failing to spot some very obvious red flags about this ‘journal,’ and for their rather bizarre leaps of logic.” The way the journal charges authors is that red flag, Taylor writes.
“This tells us very little about gender studies, but an awful lot about the perpetrators of this ‘hoax’ … and those who tout it as a takedown of an entire field.” Taylor’s headline for his piece: “Why the ‘Conceptual Penis’ Hoax Is Just a Big Cock-Up.”

Some shitty open access social science journal publishes a sham paper and this is somehow a dig on science?

It's a little young for you to realize your life is a sham, but at least its early enough for you to regroup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean this has been proven over and over by reports that about 70% of crap published by Chinese and Indian scientist is just pure shit. The caveat to that is it is all published in pure shit journals. In this example the journal is pure shit, well it's been around for less than 2 years and lacks an impact factor but not too hard to make that conclusion. I have no idea what a "top" sociology journal is but given that there are probably 100s of journals in my own field, I trust about 10% of them, and social sciences are so wishy washy and hard to control im gonna say the claim this journal is an expert peer reviewed journal is crap.

While I appreciate good reefer as much as the next guy...during a workday?

Related, this isn't a problem with science per se, but I find it problematic when people base philosophical beliefs on "scientific" concepts without appearing to appreciate that scientific thought is not without its own a priori philosophical presuppositions that are themselves not testable according to the scientific method. For example, people on this board say all the time that they are agnostic or don't believe in god because there is no scientific proof of god, yet they seem not to appreciate that that logic presupposes the view that everything that is must be capable of being apprehended by the senses. That view, however, is not a scientific one but a philosophical one. No experiment could ever prove that. Philosophy always has to precede science, and there are myriad other presuppositions that undergird science, like "there is an external world outside of myself," "my senses are capable of apprehending the external world," "my senses are capable of correctly apprehending the external world," "there is a logical structure to the external world," "we are capable of understanding this logical structure to the external world" etc etc etc. These are, perhaps, all fine presumptions to hold, but they are not unassailable, and, more importantly for my point, they can't be defended simply by looking at a test tube. They must be defended, if at all, on philosophical grounds only. That's where the debate should be, not on whether or not there is "proof" that god exists, because asking that question already assumes, by the way the way the question is framed, that s/he doesn't.

I don't think you'd find any scientist that would disagree with you, but I would disagree that it's important. I am pretty comfortable with the notion that I should believe things that I can see and measure compared to the notion that I should believe things that I can't see or measure. If my ability to perceive and measure the world is fundamentally biased by the way human sense or detect information or the way human brain processes information, then there is nothing we can do about it. It may be philosophical, but I don't think it is asking a lot to make observation and measurement the basis for knowing things. I am not really sure what other basis there could be for knowing things.

Last edited:
Related, this isn't a problem with science per se, but I find it problematic when people base philosophical beliefs on "scientific" concepts without appearing to appreciate that scientific thought is not without its own a priori philosophical presuppositions that are themselves not testable according to the scientific method. For example, people on this board say all the time that they are agnostic or don't believe in god because there is no scientific proof of god, yet they seem not to appreciate that that logic presupposes the view that everything that is must be capable of being apprehended by the senses. That view, however, is not a scientific one but a philosophical one. No experiment could ever prove that. Philosophy always has to precede science, and there are myriad other presuppositions that undergird science, like "there is an external world outside of myself," "my senses are capable of apprehending the external world," "my senses are capable of correctly apprehending the external world," "there is a logical structure to the external world," "we are capable of understanding this logical structure to the external world" etc etc etc. These are, perhaps, all fine presumptions to hold, but they are not unassailable, and, more importantly for my point, they can't be defended simply by looking at a test tube. They must be defended, if at all, on philosophical grounds only. That's where the debate should be, not on whether or not there is "proof" that god exists, because asking that question already assumes, by the way the way the question is framed, that s/he doesn't.

I've read a lot of really amazing philosophy of science, STS (science and technology studies), and critical race and feminist theory on this issue. While I'm not sure that any critique goes as far as to say that science and religion make comparable assumptions from a logical perspective, there are a ton of critiques of the fundamental, taken for granted assumptions of different branches of science.

In other news, I've found that dumbasses are dumbasses, no matter whether they identify as religious or atheistic/agnostic.

ETA: what birdman says, as well. Science undoubtedly helps us learn more about the world around us. If we ever lose sight of that fundamental truth as a society, then we're in trouble.

Last edited:
Spent the last 20 years of my life being an atheist. Video game theory sold me. Or just an experiment with someone putting a buncha atoms together to see what happens. An experiment.

Absolutely has to be a creator out there, there's just likely zero reason he cares if I worship him.

I don't think you'd find any scientist that would disagree with you, but I would disagree that it's important. I am pretty comfortable with the notion that I should believe things that I can see and measure compared to the notion that I should believe things that I can't see or measure. If my ability to perceive and measure the world is fundamentally biased by the way human sense or detect information or the way human brain processes information, then there is nothing we can do about it. It may be philosophical, but I don't think it is asking a lot to make observation and measurement the basis for knowing things. I am not really sure what other basis there could be for knowing things.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't believe in things you can't see or measure. A hundred fifty years ago many of the things you can now see and measure couldn't be seen or measured. They may have been theories but not repeatable experiments to prove those theories existed. In science, isn't wrong to presuppose you don't know?

Who knows what science will be able to know in another three hundred years? Isn't it against the scientific method to not be curious about issues that you can't disprove?

Last edited:
Science should try to figure out this sentence

Townie is becoming BKF, Jr. "Isn't IT".

It's very easy to understand that...well, I keep forgetting that hipsters are afraid to call themselves hipsters. Thus, they have problems figuring out lots of things.

FFS I can't tell if RJ is serious. The scientific method isn't an ethos. It's a discrete series of steps.

That's the whole point.

The scientific method starts with making an observation and asking a question. Then you go on.

It doesn't include saying something that has yet to be proven is false.

The scientific method starts with making an observation and asking a question. Then you go on.

It doesn't include saying something that has yet to be proven is false.

Pretty hard to prove something false. However, finding a lack of evidence to support an hypothesis over and over and over again might lead someone to conclude that the thing is probably not true.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't believe in things you can't see or measure. A hundred fifty years ago many of the things you can now see and measure couldn't be seen or measured. They may have been theories but not repeatable experiments to prove those theories existed. In science, isn't wrong to presuppose you don't know?

Who knows what science will be able to know in another three hundred years? Isn't it against the scientific method to not be curious about issues that you can't disprove?

Sure, but if you examine enough evidence or try to empirically study an measure something and fail enough times, it is pretty reasonable to conclude the thing doesn't exist.

Back