• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fundraising Ideas

Which fundraiser sounds like the most fun?

• Cinco de Mayo party

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Kentucky Derby party

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Rubber Duck race

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Chili Cook-Off

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
What kind of organization is this? I organize a golf tournament every year with a silent auction. Silent auction is pure profit with donated items. Combine that with your kentucky derby party. We made 20k on our auction this year.

The local hospital foundation. Our community has 5 or 6 golf tournaments every year, but the silent auction is a great idea.

The last auction we had centered around chairs (a "CHAIRity" auction, get it?) and people would donate gift packages focused around a chair. There were UGA and GaTech chairs which included tshirts, game tickets, and hats; a gardening chair that was actually an old wooden chair repurposed to serve as a plant stand and garden table; an adorondack chair which included beach towels, flipflops, and suntan lotion; etc. It was fun.

i'm sure the taxpayers are thrilled that traffic control services are being given away for free, not to mention the ethics of the assistant city manager to do that. small town i'm guessing?

Cities are free to donate money or in-kind services to charities from funds earmarked for tourism.

Anyway, nobody has ever complained about it. The 5K is actually a fundraiser for an African-American Heritage organization that I'm a board member of, and I doubt anybody would complain because they would want to avoid the perception of being a racist.

You should have a Steel Stomach Challenge, whereby you identify certain amounts for which you will ingest various interesting materials.

For example, if someone contributes $5, you will eat a slice of white bread soaked for 10 hours in a mixture of French salad dressing, the oil from a can of Starkist tuna, pancake syrup, and buttermilk, then fried on a dirty pan and sprinkled with cheeto dust and Nestle Quick chocolate powder.

Why is the duck race mutually exclusive? Sounds like you should combine that with Cinco Party and make twice as much $$

The Derby is on May 3rd next year. Combine that with the Cinco de Mayo party, the chili cookoff AND the duck race.

there is nothing profitable about putting on a 5K race FYI

What type of people would be attending? All adults? Children?

If it were just me deciding, Kentucky Derby #1, Rubber Duck Race #2

If you use peer to peer fundraising, it can be very profitable.

You should have a Steel Stomach Challenge, whereby you identify certain amounts for which you will ingest various interesting materials.

For example, if someone contributes $5, you will eat a slice of white bread soaked for 10 hours in a mixture of French salad dressing, the oil from a can of Starkist tuna, pancake syrup, and buttermilk, then fried on a dirty pan and sprinkled with cheeto dust and Nestle Quick chocolate powder.

Used to work with a girl who had a new grill stolen the week she moved into her new townhome. She refused to buy another one, but really wanted/needed a grill. She was a big time vegetarian and hadn't eaten meat in 15 years. She agreed to eat a Wendy's bacon double cheeseburger if we could raise the $200+ for a new grill.

That morphed into younger, stupider coworkers saying they would 1)eat 15 McDonald's cheeseburgers in 20 minutes, 2) drink a gallon of milk in an hour, etc. if we would raise $xx if they were successful. They epically failed every time. Hilarious to watch.

tl; dr I support the Steel Stomach Challenge.

Used to work with a girl who had a new grill stolen the week she moved into her new townhome. She refused to buy another one, but really wanted/needed a grill. She was a big time vegetarian and hadn't eaten meat in 15 years. She agreed to eat a Wendy's bacon double cheeseburger if we could raise the $200+ for a new grill.

That morphed into younger, stupider coworkers saying they would 1)eat 15 McDonald's cheeseburgers in 20 minutes, 2) drink a gallon of milk in an hour, etc. if we would raise $xx if they were successful. They epically failed every time. Hilarious to watch.

tl; dr I support the Steel Stomach Challenge.

a few of the guys i work with have been doing eating challenges. there's this report that gets run every day that's a total pain in the ass (and ask most anybody other than our COO, and they'll tell you it's pretty worthless too). there's a group of 5 people who alternate weeks of having to do it. so the bets have been over responsibilities for that report.

one guy was supposed to eat the biggest box of goldfish that we could find (it was 30 ounces). he poured them out onto paper plates, and had 5 big heaps of goldfish. he didn't succeed on that one. the sheer quantity of sodium was outrageous.

then our treasurer agreed to finish off the last third of a cake leftover from a birthday celebration one time. he made it, but looked so miserable.

Boogity, I think we've found your answer my friend. You need to start thinking about how much you would take for you to eat a 32-ounce bowl of kalamata olive-flavored Jello.

The Derby is on May 3rd next year. Combine that with the Cinco de Mayo party, the chili cookoff AND the duck race.

don't forget "May the 4th be with you" you will have all the local star wars geeks too!

a few of the guys i work with have been doing eating challenges. there's this report that gets run every day that's a total pain in the ass (and ask most anybody other than our COO, and they'll tell you it's pretty worthless too). there's a group of 5 people who alternate weeks of having to do it. so the bets have been over responsibilities for that report.

one guy was supposed to eat the biggest box of goldfish that we could find (it was 30 ounces). he poured them out onto paper plates, and had 5 big heaps of goldfish. he didn't succeed on that one. the sheer quantity of sodium was outrageous.

then our treasurer agreed to finish off the last third of a cake leftover from a birthday celebration one time. he made it, but looked so miserable.

this is amazing.

Boogity, I think we've found your answer my friend. You need to start thinking about how much you would take for you to eat a 32-ounce bowl of kalamata olive-flavored Jello.

The Boogity Steel Stomach Challenge would definitely be a huge fundraiser. Pretty sure he could raise over $1000 just on these boards if he posted the YouTube video. In keeping with the Kentucky Derby/Cinco de Mayo theme, you could eat 32 ounces of Mexican horsemeat. Bonus $$ if uncooked.

This is the best suggestion yet (along with the suggested May the Forth celebration)! A 3-day long party!

The Boogity Steel Stomach Challenge would definitely be a huge fundraiser. Pretty sure he could raise over $1000 just on these boards if he posted the YouTube video. In keeping with the Kentucky Derby/Cinco de Mayo theme, you could eat 32 ounces of Mexican horsemeat. Bonus $$ if uncooked.

Agreed. I would personally pay $5 to see Boogity eat a cup of acorns. How many people are on this board? A thousand? Boogity, you could be RICH.

Back