• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GA Tech fires DC Al Groh

Hell yeah baby, the way is now paved to bring back Jim Caldwell and Al Groh!!!! Get rid of that bum Grobe and bring back the dynamic duo, happy days will be back again!!!

Already getting the negrep love, OldGoldandGoob I'm gunning for your ass baby!!!!

Yeah, I now how to spell his freaking name, but a coach as damn good as Caldwel doesn't deserve to have that many l's in their name.

Not that this was a bad move, because in all honesty there is no place in 1A football for Groh, but you would think they would have waited till the end of the season.

Not that this was a bad move, because in all honesty there is no place in 1A football for Groh, but you would think they would have waited till the end of the season.

GT has given up 40+ in 3 of 6 games this year, and the defense has appeared to have quit on Grobe. GT's very long bowl streak is in serious jeopardy, and no way reachable if Grobe stayed on the job. It's a bye week coming up, so probably the best timing possible.

GT scored 28 or more and yet still lost a ridiculous 5 times in the 2.5 seasons Grobe was DC. That's an astonishing stat.

Did he read that same poem at the press conference, about looking in the mirror, that he read when he was fired at UVA?

GT has given up 40+ in 3 of 6 games this year, and the defense has appeared to have quit on Grobe. GT's very long bowl streak is in serious jeopardy, and no way reachable if Grobe stayed on the job. It's a bye week coming up, so probably the best timing possible.

GT scored 28 or more and yet still lost a ridiculous 5 times in the 2.5 seasons Grobe was DC. That's an astonishing stat.

Especially considering how much time GT's offense takes off the clock.

GT's offense really does not chew that much clock anymore. Too many big plays. That's actually been part of the problem in the post Nesbitt era, when he had a brutal battering ram at QB PJ used to button down in the second half once we got the lead and just smash teams with Nesbitt and Dwyer over and over. Tevin Washington can't do the same thing, it's more of a all or nothing offense with him - a lot fewer of those 12+ play drives eating up entire quarters.

That helped cover up a really bad defense in '09, but not anymore.

Did he read that same poem at the press conference, about looking in the mirror, that he read when he was fired at UVA?

It was the "Man in the Glass" http://www2.dailyprogress.com/sports/cdp-sports-cavinsider/2009/nov/29/al_groh_postgame_quotes-ar-92350/

Al Groh is a below average coach, but is a worse person off the field. I knew a young man who was offered a Gray-Shirt / Recruited Walk-On by Frank Beamer and George Welsh. This young man had close to a 4.0 GPA and was National Honor Society in addition to many athletic awards. He is one of the most polite people I have ever met; always address me as “Sir or Mr. “Bobcat Grad”.

He enrolled at UVA and red-shirted Welsh's last year. As a Red-Shirt freshman he started on special teams for Groh and worked his way up to second team fullback getting a few reps. I remember one game he flattened a Florida State player with the key block for 95 yard kickoff TD. One game, the prized fullback recruit Jonathan Ward (Rivals 4-Star) had fumbled multiple times. Everybody in the stadium was booing him and his teammates walked away from him except the second team walk-on who went up and put his arm around him to encourage him. During the offseason the Mother of the Walk-On had a stroke while undergoing surgery for a benign brain tumor. At this point the walk-on went to talk with Groh in the spring/ early summer to see where he stood possibly getting a partial scholarship. Groh told him a scholarship was not in the cards. The player told him he understood but wanted to look at some other options since he was now concerned about money with his Mom ill. If I am Groh, I first ask "How is your Mom Doing" and then tell the player to take his time and offer to pick up the phone as a coach and put out some feelers with other schools such as William & Mary who had originally recruited the young man and was within 30 minutes of his home. Instead, Al Groh cleans out his locker and tries to make him an example of someone who was not loyal to the team. The young man had been loyal to Jonathan Ward and was trying to be loyal to his family. The player came back to summer camp at UVA and had been dropped to 5th team. He decided to leave the football program. He went to speak with Groh and Groh told him he had just arranged for a partial scholarship but said that was now off the table. He became captain of the rugby team, graduating with honors from UVA in Religious Studies. His Mom is doing well now and he works with his family at their independent funeral home in Virginia.

This was not an isolated incident with Groh and explains while the Virginia High School Coach, most notably John Schuman of Fork Union could not stand Groh and encouraged their players to go to other schools.

I still think UVA should have hired Grobe and I am a bit bummed that things have been down for Wake Forest the past few years. I know Grobe is not a perfect coach and none of us are perfect people off the field/Life, but I respect him and will continue to follow the Deac’s. My wife and I were so disgusted with Groh that we gave up our season tickets that she had for over 20 years.

Well this news is welcome at the end of a long day. What an asshat.

I remember my 1 interaction with him here. I got to go to a VAF luncheon with a friend of mine who was looking for someone to tag along with him. Marques "Biscuit" Hagans was the QB back then. For those of you who remember him, I think he was right or soon after Schaub - nice kid, like 5'10", decent passer and extremely elusive as a runner. VT had a lot of success with some option style offenses back in those days with the Vick brothers and Bryan Randall. And I had told my UVA friend that UVA should be running some option with Biscuit because of his abilities as a runner, but Groh would never do that because they don't do that in the NFL. So we run into Groh while mingling, and my friend says to him that his Wake buddy here thought it would be a good idea to run some option with Biscuit. Groh's response was that they'd do more sprint out passes with him than with Schaub but that they wouldn't run an option offense because that's not the way they did things in the NFL. Think I just smiled and said thanks. Though I didn't thank him for going 4-7 in my years at Wake with 2 of those wins coming over D1-AA teams every year.

Bobcat, I've heard similar stuff over the years here. And this was after he coached Wake my 4 years there. Maybe he was stalking me.;)

And yes, he had pissed off HS coaches all around the state, most notably the Hampton Crabbers coach - think his name is Mike Smith. So much so that I believe his last recruiting class at UVA only had 1 top-30 player from Virginia - something unheard of at either UVA or VT.

Well this news is welcome at the end of a long day. What an asshat.

I remember my 1 interaction with him here. I got to go to a VAF luncheon with a friend of mine who was looking for someone to tag along with him. Marques "Biscuit" Hagans was the QB back then. For those of you who remember him, I think he was right or soon after Schaub - nice kid, like 5'10", decent passer and extremely elusive as a runner. VT had a lot of success with some option style offenses back in those days with the Vick brothers and Bryan Randall. And I had told my UVA friend that UVA should be running some option with Biscuit because of his abilities as a runner, but Groh would never do that because they don't do that in the NFL. So we run into Groh while mingling, and my friend says to him that his Wake buddy here thought it would be a good idea to run some option with Biscuit. Groh's response was that they'd do more sprint out passes with him than with Schaub but that they wouldn't run an option offense because that's not the way they did things in the NFL. Think I just smiled and said thanks. Though I didn't thank him for going 4-7 in my years at Wake with 2 of those wins coming over D1-AA teams every year.

Well that was his problem then, nobody ever told him UVa played in ACC and not the ACC. You expect these coaches to know everything?

Back