• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Thread: ODU 12:00 noon 9/16 ESPN2

IamThunderbolt

Reaction score
Let's kick this off:

Wake Forest (2-0) @ Old Dominion (1-1)
Noon on ESPN 2
Opening Line: Wake -13.5
O/U: 59.5
Vegas Prediction: Wake 37-24

Previews:
Pre-season BSD Preview
Pre-season CFN Preview

My limited thoughts:

ODU entered the season without a QB that had thrown an FBS pass. Wilson, a transfer from Fordham, has won the job. The new ODU OC is also from Fordham, so they are reconnecting. Their offense is predicated upon spreading out the D and would like to be pass-heavy. Wilson has had two very different games. Against VT he was 13/25 for 94 yds with 2 TDs and a pick, but did a lot on the ground, rushing for over 80 yards (most off of spreading out the receivers to the boundaries and then having a designed QB run). Against Louisiana, he was 13/19 for 247 yard with 4 TDs. He only rushed 5 time for 4 yds (but this includes sacks - he had one 10 yard run and also ran in a TD). They've rushed for about 350 total over 2 games (and over 200 v. VT). They seem to take what is given to them, but the OL is a concern (already given up 8 sacks on the season, 5 to VT, 3 to LA).

Defense doesn't look great. No sacks on the year and they are -2 on takeaways after two games. They gave up 368 yds v. VT and 458 yds v. LA, seemingly equally ineffectual against the run and the pass.

Last edited:
Looks like Disney\Spectrum will get a deal done today so we can all watch. That said, does anyone ever have trouble with the app and listening to Stan? I have to close\re-open the app quite often when I'm listening live.

We need a complete game beatdown of ODU before we start the meat of our schedule. I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of 41-16

Wake 38-20 is my pick. Bottom line they’re not going to stop our offense from moving down the field unless we gift some turnovers. Their offense seems better than ratings indicate but at the end of the day they’re playing a guy who transferred from Fordham at QB. If we can get some pressure in the backfield I think we’re going to create turnovers that help flip the field as well.

how the hell did this qualify for the Deuce?
This is the crappiest week of the season for games. There are zero games involving two ranked teams.

The "prime time" games this week are:

ESPN: #11 TN at FL
ABC: Pitt at WV
NBC: Cuse at Purdue
Fox: TCU at Houston

Barf; this is the weekend to find something else to do rather than sit home and watch Saturday night football.

To the contrary, week 4 is loaded with ranked matchups:

#6 tOSU at #9 ND
#17 Ole Miss at #10 Bama
#18 Colorado at #13 Oregon
#24 UCLA at #12 Utah
#25 Iowa at #7 Penn State
#16 Oregon State at #23 Washington State

Plus:
#3 FSU at Clemson
#4 Texas at Baylor
Arkansas at #14 LSU
#19 OU at Cincy
Auburn at A&M

It's like CFB decided to take Week #3 off. It is a dreadful slate of games.

Last edited:
I think it will be along the lines of 38-17. I just don't think they have the horses to get sustained drives for points against our D. Allowing for a few explosives, I think they will score some, but can't stop our offense.

For reference, VT beat them 36-17 at home.

Wake 38-20 is my pick. Bottom line they’re not going to stop our offense from moving down the field unless we gift some turnovers. Their offense seems better than ratings indicate but at the end of the day they’re playing a guy who transferred from Fordham at QB. If we can get some pressure in the backfield I think we’re going to create turnovers that help flip the field as well.
Good players can come from anywhere. The ODU QB transfer from Fordham has played pretty well: 6 TDs and 1 pick; he's been pretty solid. WF has a LB who is balling out who transferred from NC A&T; Duke has starters from the Ivy League, and FSU has a stud defensive end from Albany. Overlooking a kid because he played at Fordham is a not smart.

ODU has played better than projected, and they are -3 on TOs on the season (WF is +3); so, it's not like ODU has benefitted from TO luck so far. WF going to Old Dominon will be a big deal for them. Deacs have the ACC opener on deck. I don't see an angle yet that leads to the conclusion that this game will be easy.

Looks like Disney\Spectrum will get a deal done today so we can all watch. That said, does anyone ever have trouble with the app and listening to Stan? I have to close\re-open the app quite often when I'm listening live.
Definitely an issue trying to coordinate a streaming signal with Stan's live broadcast. But I would much rather listen to Stan and Larry than ESPN"S mundane coverage.

Good players can come from anywhere. The ODU QB transfer from Fordham has played pretty well: 6 TDs and 1 pick; he's been pretty solid. WF has a LB who is balling out who transferred from NC A&T; Duke has starters from the Ivy League, and FSU has a stud defensive end from Albany. Overlooking a kid because he played at Fordham is a not smart.

ODU has played better than projected, and they are -3 on TOs on the season (WF is +3); so, it's not like ODU has benefitted from TO luck so far. WF going to Old Dominon will be a big deal for them. Deacs have the ACC opener on deck. I don't see an angle yet that leads to the conclusion that this game will be easy.
I hear ya on the players can come from anywhere angle (especially in the current era with transfers plus guys having long Nfl careers from non-FBS spots). I’ll try and check out the ODU-Louisiana game on hyperspeed to see how he looked. They were closer to VT than the score indicated for sure.

That said, I still think they struggle to make stops against our offense on any kind of regular basis

I think the big indicator for me is that they have struggled to get pressure against both Louisiana and Virginia Tech. I expect a big day from our offense. And then they aren’t the greatest rushing team either. A third of all of their rushing yards have come from the quarterback. If we play just good assignment defense, that should be limited and we should be fine.

Last edited:
Banks is like prime Michael Thomas. Just a big body out there, great routes, great hands, fast enough. Nightmare for opposing defenses.

Based on everything we know so far, ODU is the worst FBS team we play. They are probably better than originally projected through 2 games but they started bottom 10 in the FBS. Road games are never “easy” going in but Wake has the talent advantage and the scheme advantage. Just avoid big mistakes and lets play our style

Based on everything we know so far, ODU is the worst FBS team we play. They are probably better than originally projected through 2 games but they started bottom 10 in the FBS. Road games are never “easy” going in but Wake has the talent advantage and the scheme advantage. Just avoid big mistakes and lets play our style
Gonna do some Old Dominating

Back