• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

anybody have success with growing tomatoes indoors?

i'm on the top floor of a walk-up and the back stairs area has a landing with sunlights above it, so gets natural light most of the day and then bright light overnight -- not temperature controlled so gets warm when it's warm outside

seems like possibly a good alternative to my current set-up, which is outdoors but vulnerable to rabbits and squirrels and doesn't get plentiful direct sunlight for the trees and building
Sounds OK. Tomatoes fruit better if the nights are a little cool and days are warm. Does the space get excessively warm during the day? Like 105 or hotter?

Tomatoes like water. Also super phosphate fertilizer helps fruit production.

a little googling tells me I should stick with smaller fruiting varieties for indoor growing

Found that the Brussel Sprout plants survived another winter and are still producing the buds. Harvesting and enjoying.

Tbh i get my plants from Lowe’s but tomato wise I try to grow a couple plants of a regular variety (better boy for example), a couple weird-ish varieties (like Cherokee purple) and a couple cherry tomato. How many plants are you looking to put in?

Tbh i get my plants from Lowe’s but tomato wise I try to grow a couple plants of a regular variety (better boy for example), a couple weird-ish varieties (like Cherokee purple) and a couple cherry tomato. How many plants are you looking to put in?
I was thinking one or two smaller varieties for home and probably eight plants for the community garden

we typically do a smaller variety and a larger variety among our community garden plants

I have no idea what 90% of the varieties are in your link. One thing I always look for with mine is “indeterminate,” meaning the plant will keep growing indefinitely as opposed to topping out (determinate). This is important for me because the deer absolutely wreck mine and I need the constant growth (and flowering/fruiting) to replace what they steal. And if/when they wreck a mature determinate plant that’d be the end of the season.

yeah, i'm going to try my home tomatoes indoors this year after getting zero tomatoes last year due to the squirrels

I usually do eight plants. One cherry tomato, three plum ("Italian") type and the rest beefsteak type. The plum tomatoes make great sauce. The beefsteak are the slicing tomatoes for sandwiches and canning.

I have no idea what 90% of the varieties are in your link. One thing I always look for with mine is “indeterminate,” meaning the plant will keep growing indefinitely as opposed to topping out (determinate). This is important for me because the deer absolutely wreck mine and I need the constant growth (and flowering/fruiting) to replace what they steal. And if/when they wreck a mature determinate plant that’d be the end of the season.
Just be sure you are ready to put in the work trimming them back all summer if you get indeterminate 😂 . One summer I was not ready for this and my gardening time took a plunge with infant and a crazy work schedule and our tomato plants overran the garden and yard in like 2 weeks.

Just be sure you are ready to put in the work trimming them back all summer if you get indeterminate 😂 . One summer I was not ready for this and my gardening time took a plunge with infant and a crazy work schedule and our tomato plants overran the garden and yard in like 2 weeks.
I grow my tomatoes in a cage of PVC pipe and deer/bird netting. It nine feet tall. Usually holds those indeterminate varieties for a growing season. But they do reach the top, the go sideways.

Back