• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge/Knoxville Dining

deacfan78

Reaction score
Heading up tomorrow for a small family trip. Heading over to Knoxville on Monday. Any places we shouldn't miss?

IIRC, there are a fuckton of pancake joints in that area, like Williamsburg, VA level.

For knoxville:

Sweet Pea's BBQ
Stock and Barrel (awesome burgers and bourbon)
Knox Mason

Sadly, its a pretty bad food town but these places are solid.

Preesh! Stock & Barrel looks like it is going to happen!

Gatlinburg has at least three Jerky outlets, so it has that going for it, too. Always good for a snack.

For knoxville:

Sweet Pea's BBQ
Stock and Barrel (awesome burgers and bourbon)
Knox Mason

Sadly, its a pretty bad food town but these places are solid.

Truth
I can't speak for the 3 places you mentioned, but I've probably spent a dozen weekends in Knoxville (although that was generally from 10-5 years ago, so maybe it's better) and never eaten at a "better than adequate" place. For that matter, pretty much all of Eastern, TN (not as familiar with the western 2/3 of the state) is like that. Crappy family diners and chain restaurant after chain restaurant.

When I was a kid, we went to Gatlinburg a lot and I thought it was so amazing and now I think it's depressing.

Truth
I can't speak for the 3 places you mentioned, but I've probably spent a dozen weekends in Knoxville (although that was generally from 10-5 years ago, so maybe it's better) and never eaten at a "better than adequate" place. For that matter, pretty much all of Eastern, TN (not as familiar with the western 2/3 of the state) is like that. Crappy family diners and chain restaurant after chain restaurant.

East Tn is truly a chain restaurant paradise. I always say that if you want a wise investment, open up a Cracker Barrel in PF/Gburg area and watch that money roll in. Knoxville makes me miss Winston restaurants like crazy and thats saying something because Winston isnt exactly a Charleston.

We used to make a semi-regular family pilgrimage to Pigeon Forge and I'll agree with most posters that it's pancake house haven with mostly chains thrown in, as if the gods had somehow relocated Ocean Drive into the Appalachians. But we did find a place that we kept going back to - The Pottery House Cafe. Really good food, decent atmosphere. A cut above anything else I've found in east tenn. Not too pricey either.

http://www.old-mill.com/info/cafe

For Knoxville, I'd recommend Dead End BBQ (over Sweat Pea's), Gourmet Kitchen (great breakfast and overall interest/grungy menu(, and will second Stock and Barrel. Tupalo Honey is good, but a (upscale-ish and southern) chain. Like others said, Knoxville has not turned out to be a great food place unfortunately. Good food trucks at Bearden Beer Market usually though?

So...I was not a fan of Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. I told my Mom that it looked like "Christmas took a shit up here". The trip to Knoxville definitely made the entire trip better. Got some good booze at McScrooge's and ate a late lunch at Stock & Barrel.

It's the mountain version of myrtle beach without the golf. Bright lights, pancake houses, and lots of junk. But some decent bargains to be had at some of the shopping areas. Yet somehow always a ton of people there.

We normally do Myrtle Beach because my parents have a time share down there, but they traded their week for a week in Gatlinburg. The resort was nice, beautiful views but the traffic was horrible! At least MB in the winter is tolerable.

They slapped one of the most redneck-touristy, tacky places in America in the middle of one of earth's greatest natural jewels. Satan looks down on Gatlinburg, TN and weeps for humanity.

Back