• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GE Pays No Taxes....Again

good for them. good for their management. i am sure their shareholders are happy.

57K pages. That's freakin' incredible. I have done some tax returns for pretty large companies, and a few hundred pages is usually the max.

Yeah, that is from last year. Didn't even notice that.

Agreed. The consolidating schedules and 5471s are probably 95% of it, but it's still impressive.

And what do you think the dividend would be otherwise?

There are reasons that stocks go down other than taxes, Bob.

these articles really say nothing.

Example:

Company A has a taxable loss of $10 billion dollars in year one
Company A has taxable income of $10 billion dollars in year two and uses the loss in year one to offset the income in year two.

Headline: OMG, Company A paid no taxes on $10 billion dollars in profit!!!!!!111111!!!!!

Another example:

Congress: Oh crap, the economy is in the crapper and we need to stimulate it, so we are going to allow companies to fully depreciate certain fixed asset additions.
Company A: Wow, lets take advantage of this and move ahead some of our capital spending and lower our tax bill.
Congressman who supported depreciation change: Look at Company A using "loopholes" to avoid paying their fair share!!!!!!

Why would you say that? I don't know where all that money GE saved by not paying taxes went....but it didn't go to the shareholders. GE stock was $18.29/share on December 31, 2010. On December 31, 2011 it was $17.91.....down 38 cents/share for the year. Shareholders were paid 61 cents/share in dividends for the year 2011, up 15 cents from the 46 cents/share they were paid in 2010.

So, GE shareholders had a net loss of 23 cents/share for the year 2011....while the Dow Industrials gained 5.5% (plus dividends).

As Led Zeppelin might say: "The Song Remains The Same".

thats actually a net gain of 23 cents per share for shareholders. still lags the S&P 500 but a company's shareholders usually like good financial stewardship and reducing the income tax bill falls in that category.

I used to work for GE. I have no idea how that company made any money. It was the most inefficient and poorly managed firm I have ever worked for.

I used to work for GE. I have no idea how that company made any money. It was the most inefficient and poorly managed firm I have ever worked for.

I've dealt with their asset management group as they've tried to implement some new software...holy shit are they a mess.

I've dealt with their asset management group as they've tried to implement some new software...holy shit are they a mess.

Genworth financial is a f'ing trainwreck.

Good God, how many times do we have to go through this?

Simmer down mr fancy tax lawyer. Don't interrupt a good storm of pretentious uninformed lather.

Wait. GE went green, right? Green shouldn't pay taxes.

Back