• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Gender equity" makes it easier for men to get accepted into college

awaken

Reaction score
While the article says it is not the same as AA, those types of arguments arise
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/17/805025...women-is-a-real-problem-in-college-admissions

Evidence has mounted in recent years: at some colleges, although not all, men can get in with less impressive credentials. A push for gender balance on campus means accomplished young women end up competing with each other rather than crowding out less accomplished young men.

Yep. This is an ongoing trend. I've seen some studies that suggest without admissions preferences for men, the percentage of women in incoming classes at elite universities would be 1-3% higher. Women far outachieve men in high school and college.

The article didn't mention the other big reason to keep universities as close to 50-50 as possible. Title IX.

Admission to Wake was easier for males in the '70s

I hope we are able to discriminate against women enough in admissions practices to make up for the historical advantages that have been titled in their favor.

Rumor at Wake when I was there was that Wake accepted more males bc males were more likely to donate to their school after graduation. Truth?

Rumor at Wake when I was there was that Wake accepted more males bc males were more likely to donate to their school after graduation. Truth?

Wouldn't doubt it. All the big donations I can think of have come from male alums or alum couples.

Back