• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

That is crazy. Black people have been doing great under Democrats. Why would they ever want to change what is working so well?

That silly Trump guy, there he goes again.

Why wouldn't blacks vote for the party that actively tries to keep them from voting?

its great on one hand we have BLM and cops killing blacks, 1%ers, deck stacked against them, systemic racism. Trump reads off the stats that tend to support their narrative and says you have been voting 95 % dem for 50 years and what have you got out of it? what the hell do you have to lose ? and now that's racist. Republicans citing facts about the black community as an argument against Dem policies is insulting and than the news media starts wheeling out black doctors and lawyers saying they are disgusted with Trumps rhetoric. Its all a joke. Its all a big game and sadly the poor are just pawns.

You misspelled makes up as reads off.

So your argument is that black people in 2016 aren't better off than in 1966.

Pretty good summary of the immigration situation. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/08/trumps-immigration-policy-trap/497822/

Why is Trump now ensnared in the very net he avoided for so long? Because Kellyanne Conway, who specializes in making conservative politicians appealing to moderate female voters, decided that in order to soften Trump’s image, she needed to soften his immigration policy. What she appears not to have realized is that softening Trump’s immigration policy requires actually formulating one, something The Donald had wisely avoided for more than a year.

It's not over until its over. Everybody knows that.

Depends on the debates. Trump would have to win them outright. Not likely, but could happen.

If Hillary wins, it will be the first time since the 1950's that the less charismatic candidate won.

The relevant numbers say otherwise - EC firewall, swing state polling, every projection - but I'm still terrified that there's a decent chance this is the American version of Brexit, with Trump = leave EU. Every time I go out in public, it becomes clear that there are enough ignorant, racist, or just plain stupid people out there to give him a majority.

The good thing is that voter registration probably has a positive effect this go around. All those stupid people probably don't know you need to register to vote most place about 4 weeks before the actual election. Also Trumps campaign has a massive ground game problem so it's not like the stupids are getting advice on how to register.

The relevant numbers say otherwise - EC firewall, swing state polling, every projection - but I'm still terrified that there's a decent chance this is the American version of Brexit, with Trump = leave EU. Every time I go out in public, it becomes clear that there are enough ignorant, racist, or just plain stupid people out there to give him a majority.

Plenty of stupid people like Hillary. I would not be so worried.

The good thing is that voter registration probably has a positive effect this go around. All those stupid people probably don't know you need to register to vote most place about 4 weeks before the actual election. Also Trumps campaign has a massive ground game problem so it's not like the stupids are getting advice on how to register.

So you like stupid people voting when they vote Dem?

Yeah in this case I'm all for it. I've already made my position known on how I would like strict voter tests for everyone. However since that's not the law I'll take organizing and registering the stupid for Hillary all day everyday if it stops Trump.

Far less unemployment, more HS and college graduates, crime rates in most inner cities are down

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/15/news/economy/blacks-trump-obama/

It still has a long way to go, but there is improvment.

Now let's look at Trump's history and the recent acts by the GOP:

Trump was cited for racially discriminatory housing practices.

He was fined well into six figures in Atlantic City from illegal hiring and firing practices against blacks, Latinos and women.

He hired the CEO of the mouthpiece of a website that features and supports white supremacists

The GOP wants to end AA

The GOP is against Pell Grants and wants to shrink college loans

The GOP put in voter suppression laws to keep blacks from voting in over 25 states. In fact, a federal judge said exactly this regarding the NC law.

The GOP has gerrymandered many state and federal districts that used to have black representation.

For these reasons alone, there is no justification for a black person to think any GOP candidate has their interest at heart. Specifically, Trump has a 40+ year history of being anti-black.

Last edited:
You don't think #alllives aren't better now than they were during the worst economic situation since the Great Depression?

I think it depends on when you start calculating. That is why RJ's report starts in 2009 in the worst of the recession. If you start when Obama took over, then, no, numbers are still worse. If you compare to those heady Bush days before the recession, then, no.

No, 2009 is the first year of Obama's presidency.

I notice you conveniently neglected things like higher HS and college graduation rates.

I also notice that you neglected Trump's personal history of discrimination against blacks and the hiring of a white supremacy apologist.

Meh. All Trump has to offer poor people (black, white, or otherwise) is a double down on trickle down. Hasn't worked for the last 30 years, won't work now.

Obama got health insurance for many thousands of poor people which is a real and substantial improvement in their lives (please note this is not an endorsement of the ACA as a whole, just an observation of one of its salutary effects that is applicable to the current discussion of "what have you done for me lately"). Unfortunately, many thousands more poor people, disproportionately black, live in Republican-led states that refuse to expand Medicaid. The many flaws in the ACA leave an open question as to whether the gains delivered to date are sustainable, but that's not the question at hand.

Since 2010, the federal government has been so gridlocked that any improvement/worsening in the lives of the poor has been delivered by general economic factors, not federal government policy. Outside of ACA, state-level policies have had much more impact on the lives of poor people for the past 8 years. Partisans can give credit or blame on that score however they wish. In NC, poor people have not seen a meaningful increase in income or quality of life. However, their state taxes have actually increased while the state taxes of the wealthiest have been substantially cut, and their access to government benefits has been substantially reduced. Thanks, Obama?

Theory was that Trump wasn't really going after Black voters, but just wanted to soften up Trump's image among suburban swing voters who were squeamish about voting for a clueless racist. The Wade cousin tweet doesn't help Trump with anyone.

Trump campaign launching a new economic ad in nine states (FL, PA, OH, NC, VA, CO, NV, IA, and NH). Small buy ($10M), but that's the type of ad they should have been running all along.

Making his postponed immigration speech in AZ later this week.

Back