• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

That's because for a lot of people it's a pretty big fucking issue, off the top of my head I can't think of a republican comparison, maybe significant military budget cuts.

This is only one issue. There are going to be many issues where Republicans & Democrats disagree. The essence of compromise is that both sides must cede some ground in areas where they disagree.

My point was that we haven't even gotten started yet and you are already drawing a line in the sand over one issue.

ok? I said my concern was that Trump doesn't seem to care about social issues but Congress does. The problem with Rs on the Hill who answer to constituents and an ambivalent R in the WH is that Americans are likely to face legislation that will be harmful to their rights.

but i get what you're saying, Americans need to sack up and deal with the fact that a minority of voters got their wish

what's the compromise here? the R house and R senate present a bill to an R president and PP loses funding? the compromise is to women's healthcare

The compromise will be keeping PP afloat in all sectors besides taxpayer funded abortion. Also, continued contraception accessibility is where I would compromise if I was PDJT.

The compromise will be keeping PP afloat in all sectors besides taxpayer funded abortion. Also, continued contraception accessibility is where I would compromise if I was PDJT.

why would congress compromise with congressional Ds after a sweeping victory like this? they're going to ram legislation

First of all, since the Hyde Amendment in 1976, it has been 100% illegal to spend a single federal penny on abortions other than for rape, incest or the life of the mother. If PP used federal money for ONE abortion outside those parameters, they could lose 100% of all their funding. No matter your RW buddies may tell you, PP doesn't spend federal money on abortions other than for those narrow conditions. They yell and lie to convince those who won't do one minute of homework to prove those lies are lies.

You might compromise, but Pence and his buddies won't. They want to kill PP PERIOD! They have shown no interest in ANY compromise. Remember, Pence and most of the RW wants abstinence only to be all that is taught in schools.

You are trying to be reasonable and sensible. The opponents aren't and never have been.

I saw a CNN exit poll that said something like 54% of Trump voters thought the SCOTUS was a critical issue. It is almost certain that the vacancy left by Scalia's death had something to do with that. My guess is that Obergefell and O's Title IX guidance on transgendered bathroom/locker room use did too. It's risky business to try to force social change through the courts and executive branch on a populous that isn't ready for it, particularly considering the redneck rubes appear to at least be savvy enough to understand that voting is the most effective form of protest.

Colin Kaepernick obviously disagrees. Shocked he didn't vote.

My sister is convinced that Hillary was calling all poor people "deplorable", and she will not be convinced otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Surprised you haven't been able to convince your own sister. Is she racist, sexist or uneducated?

I'm assuming this is northeastern PA since southeast PA went strongly for Hillary. There are a lot of fracking jobs up there. I'm sure it wasn't hard to take her asinine comments about putting coal miners out of work and convincing them that would apply to them as well. IIRC she's made some anti-fracking comments as well (until she went to places like that and said she supported it).
She had some really epic gaffes, and this one was probably the biggest. It's gotta be on par with Romney's 47% comments. The coal miner comment is almost as bad. The thing is, although these comments were discussed in the media, it really wasn't discussed just how bad they were.

Yeah, I remember WaPo had an article about her comment that made it to the front page of CNN.com. Conclusion: she is right.

but i get what you're saying, Americans need to sack up and deal with the fact that a minority of voters got their wish

The popular vote thing is definitely your go-to over the past day. Neither candidate would have had a majority of the voters.

The popular vote thing is definitely your go-to over the past day. Neither candidate would have had a majority of the voters.

a "majority" in a case where there are more than two options is the person who gets the most votes

I've said for a while that a direct democracy is a dumb way to pick a leader but if that's what we're going to insist on being, let's be a direct-democracy

Isn't that a plurality?

tumblr_mx3r72ouy81sm30sso1_400.gif

GOP lost seats in the Senate and House and the popular vote in the presidential election (for the 6th time in the last 7 elections) and despite that are claiming a mandate. Trump's PV loss is larger in real terms and % than W's in 2000.

something big and unpopular with the right was passed in 2010...but i forget what that was..hmm..

You're proving my point. They had plenty of time and power to get a lot more done than what they made law, and they didn't. I'm not sure congressional Republicans and President-elect Trump are going to be able to mobilize quicker based on both length of time it takes to legislate as well as likely disagreements.

Unless you're willing to concede that Republicans are a more efficient and organized group...

You're proving my point. They had plenty of time and power to get a lot more done than what they made law, and they didn't. I'm not sure congressional Republicans and President-elect Trump are going to be able to mobilize quicker based on both length of time it takes to legislate as well as likely disagreements.

Unless you're willing to concede that Republicans are a more efficient and organized group...

i don't think anyone can disagree that the GOP's strategies for getting seats in governing positions at all levels has been superior for a decade plus.

I was flabbergasted to hear that over half of PA's state races were R's running unopposed.

First of all, since the Hyde Amendment in 1976, it has been 100% illegal to spend a single federal penny on abortions other than for rape, incest or the life of the mother. If PP used federal money for ONE abortion outside those parameters, they could lose 100% of all their funding. No matter your RW buddies may tell you, PP doesn't spend federal money on abortions other than for those narrow conditions. They yell and lie to convince those who won't do one minute of homework to prove those lies are lies.

You might compromise, but Pence and his buddies won't. They want to kill PP PERIOD! They have shown no interest in ANY compromise. Remember, Pence and most of the RW wants abstinence only to be all that is taught in schools.

You are trying to be reasonable and sensible. The opponents aren't and never have been.

It will be interesting to see if Trump defers to Pence on these matters. Trump defended PP (outside of abortion rights) in the primaries, but letting Franklin the Turtle and CrossfitRyan mobilize on this wouldn't shock me either (sadly)

Colin Kaepernick obviously disagrees. Shocked he didn't vote.

Surprised you haven't been able to convince your own sister. Is she racist, sexist or uneducated?

Yeah, I remember WaPo had an article about her comment that made it to the front page of CNN.com. Conclusion: she is right.

Kaep didn't vote? Unless his official residence is in Nevada it wouldn't have mattered.

i don't think anyone can disagree that the GOP's strategies for getting seats in governing positions at all levels has been superior for a decade plus.

I was flabbergasted to hear that over half of PA's state races were R's running unopposed.

Yes, but legislation? Reince doesn't have a $200 mil data baby that speeds up the legislative process

Back