• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Georgia Couple Gets Combined 19 Years for Hate Speech/Terrorizing Acts

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/us/georgia-couple-confederate-flags-threats/index.html

Thought this was a pretty interesting case. I'm not sure exactly that those years in prison will help anything here. I do believe that they should have been punished, but I don't know how I feel about the length and severity of it.

Let me be clear---they committed despicable acts, and pointing a shotgun at a black family and talking about how you can "take them out" is certainly a jail-able offense, but 13 years is a long time for that and what does it solve?

Interesting discussion.

I'm not sure how your argument is specific to this case. You seem to be making an argument against long prison sentences in general.

love it. using Georgia's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act to target white people instead of what it was no doubt written for (targeting black kids).

Sentence seems kind of harsh, until you realize that they pointed a gun at people and threatened to kill them. 13 years is maybe a little much for that, but not that far overboard. Especially when you tack on the hate crime aspect of it.

I'm not sure how your argument is specific to this case. You seem to be making an argument against long prison sentences in general.

No doubt that it could apply across a wide spectrum of things.

I just found the fact that they got 13 years and 6 years to be fairly extreme based on how I normally see this cases end up for white people. Perhaps it needs to be that there are harsher punishments for more people and my view is skewed.

I have a hard time differentiating this and other cases out there that are "hate speech" and "terrorist acts". The pointing of the gun at the group is no doubt a large factor there.

love it. using Georgia's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act to target white people instead of what it was no doubt written for (targeting black kids).

Yeah, the irony is not lost on me here. They're shitheads. Probably don't deserve that steep of a sentence and they're obviously regretting it now, but society is better off with them behind bars for a stint.

The funniest/saddest part is that the male with the truck and the confederate flag that got the 13 years is named Torres. Guess what bro? When they Trump shock troops come around, you might get put in that school bus too.

I have no problem with the dude's sentence as he pointed a shotgun at citizens, including children. The gal didn't do that, so 6 years might be harsh (don't know what threats she made).

If this was a group of Muslim Americans riding around in a Toyota Tacoma terrorizing a white kid's birthday party they'd be dead. If anyone made it to trial they'd be locked up forever.

10 year min in ga for armed robbery. I thought it excessive at first glance but now not necessarily.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Back