• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Georgia High School holds first integrated Prom

Deadbolt

Reaction score
Nope...this isn't some archived news article...this is in 2013. Staggering.

For any teenager, prom is a monumental night, but for students at a Georgia high school, it has been more than 40 years in the making.

For the first time ever, students at Wilcox County High School, in Rochelle, Ga. danced together at a prom that wasn't segregated.

For decades, the school board has avoided officially endorsing prom festivities, instead relying on parents to host and control invitations leading to year after year of two dances - one for white students, and one for the black students.

Students have lobbied over the years to end the practice. This year, a group of Wilcox County seniors decided to take matters into their own hands.

The four girls, two black and two white, created a Facebook page asking for support and donations to fund an independent bash open to all.

"We were doing that so we could get the word out, so that some people would be able to donate and help us out with what we were doing," said senior Mareshia Rucker.

On Saturday night, nearly half of the school's student body came out to the event.

"Hopefully when everything is said and done, people in our county will really realize, that there is no sense in the way things are right now," Rucker told ABC News affiliate WGXA.

Despite this year's groundbreaking integrated dance, once again this year there was a segregated prom attended only by white students.

It wasn't an officially sanctioned event, but a private one organized by white parents.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...unty-high-school-students-hold-200912244.html

a high school in my hometown does this for their homecoming dance. it's not really acknowledged, but it happens every year. one dance is at the high school, the other is at the country club. you can guess who goes to which dance. more or less it's segregated.

Sometimes I see stupid shit on my facebook feed and think my hometown is backwards and racist, but then I see shit like this and remember that my homecoming king was a gay black cheerleader.

NY Times article on this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/27/u...p-to-offer-integrated-prom.html?smid=fb-share

There's more of the "it's not race, it's culture and music" excuse in the NYT piece.

dashionista, based on what I've seen that's typically how it's done. Black kids go to the official dance and white kids have their own privately sponsored dance. That's what's interesting about this one. The school board didn't even attempt to have a public dance. Wilcox County had to evolve to get to where the school in your hometown is.

How much different is this than we still have all black colleges and fraternities?

They aren't all black for one thing.

Brown vs Board of Education happened 59 years ago. Morgan Freeman's Mississippi high school had its first integrated prom a few years ago. One of my friends claims the last segregated country club in America is in Wilmington. I've always disputed that claim since I didn't believe there was only one segregated club leftt. Can't imagine that any clubs hosting segregated proms have any minority members.

How much different is this than we still have all black colleges and fraternities?
5172fe42c31d9.preview-300.jpg

You constantly top yourself.

It is fucking amazing.
amed-fishing-justin-caught-a-fish-big.jpg

Brown vs Board of Education happened 59 years ago. Morgan Freeman's Mississippi high school had its first integrated prom a few years ago. One of my friends claims the last segregated country club in America is in Wilmington. I've always disputed that claim since I didn't believe there was only one segregated club leftt. Can't imagine that any clubs hosting segregated proms have any minority members.

there's no way there's only 1 country club left. i mean, i don't actually have any idea or stats to back up my viewpoint, but there's just no way.

my parents belong to a country club, and while i'm sure the policy doesn't say anything about race, i've been to the country club plenty of times with them and have never once seen a black person there other than employees.

I really can't tell if you are this dumb on purpose or not

a high school in my hometown does this for their homecoming dance. it's not really acknowledged, but it happens every year. one dance is at the high school, the other is at the country club. you can guess who goes to which dance. more or less it's segregated.

The district didn't host a segregated event, the people chose to keep it segregated. I don't see the difference between that, or white or black only events or groups that don't disallow other races but no one invites people from other races and those other races generally stay away, like dash posted. I "crashed" one every saturday at noon for a few years at Wake.

My brother in law was one of the DJ's at this prom. He and a few other men from his church drove all the way from Texas to help out.

Back