• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting a new dog

BostonDeac

Reaction score
So there is a 75% chance that I will be getting a new dog tonight, a 1.5 year old pup. What are the best ways to get him acclimated to my house and my way of life? I know she will need some adjusting to the new place and new owners so I just want to make it as smooth as possible for her. Any helpful hints?

The one thing that I would suggest is going out for short trips (10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and building) without her from the very beginning.

That way, she will learn that you come back after you leave her alone. I think some people try not to leave a dog in the early going and then all of a sudden they are gone for 8 hours at work or something. Dogs will learn to just sleep when you're away once they are confident that you'll eventually come back.

Otherwise, just love on her a lot and I'm sure that she'll be a happy dog.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Put her where you want her to pee as soon as you get home for the first time. Gotta set that precedent with the first potty time, then praise the hell out of her with treats and love.

Back