• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GO PINK FOR FSU/VA TECH Games

Just curious about this whole 'breast cancer awareness month'...

Who at this point is not aware of breast cancer?

Prostate cancer has a 100% survival rate if regionally contained. The breast cancer rate at stage 1 is 88%. By stage 2b it is down to 74%. 40,000 women a year die from it. About 30,000 men per year die from prostate cancer.

Just curious about this whole 'breast cancer awareness month'...

Who at this point is not aware of breast cancer?

It's not just about being "aware" of breast cancer. It's also about knowing more about it, knowing what to do if you detect something abnormal, and knowing where to go for help, especially for those who are medically underinsured. We've done focus groups, and you'd be surprised at the amount of misinformation out there re: breast cancer and its causes, and the lack of knowledge re: what resources are available locally. Just because breast cancer is now a household phrase, don't assume that everyone knows a lot about it. As with many diseases, most people only know the basic information until it strikes them personally.

It's not just about being "aware" of breast cancer. It's also about knowing more about it, knowing what to do if you detect something abnormal, and knowing where to go for help, especially for those who are medically underinsured. We've done focus groups, and you'd be surprised at the amount of misinformation out there re: breast cancer and its causes, and the lack of knowledge re: what resources are available locally. Just because breast cancer is now a household phrase, don't assume that everyone knows a lot about it. As with many diseases, most people only know the basic information until it strikes them personally.
How about they put all this money spent on making people aware towards research for a cure?

My mother passed away after a tough ten year battle with leiomyosarcoma. How about a 'leiomyosarcoma cancer awareness month?'

Last edited:

This month marks my 14 year survivor anniversary and all I'm going to say as a PSA is: guys, make sure your girlfriends, wives, sisters, moms, etc. are doing breast self-exams and girls, no matter how young you are, DO THEM MONTHLY! This is how I found first knew something wasn't right, and because of that, it was caught early.

Although breast cancer awareness is important, it seems that these folks have hijacked cancer in general by focusing completely on only one form, and in a way have marginalized other types of cancer. Cancer is bad - lung, rectal, colon, prostate, etc. It's all bad. My mom died of lymphoma. How come the NFL doesn't have the players wear lymphoma patches on their jerseys?

and "awareness" is an overused word. How many people in America aren't aware that smoking is bad? How many people don't know that it's smart to wrap that rascal? Everyone knows this stuff, but people just don't do it for a multiple of reasons.

spend the money on trying to find a cure for these diseases.

Again, there are cancers that are much, much more tragic and fatal than breast cancer. But that's the one that gets the vast majority of research dollars. I just don't get it. It's very detectable, very early, and once detected, you have a very high risk of surviving. Most cancers are NOT like that.

I hate to say it, but I think the real reason Breast Cancer gets all the attention is because it's so "easy" (relative to other cancers) to get through, so there's many more survivors. And those survivors generally only support the breast cancer charities.

Again, there are cancers that are much, much more tragic and fatal than breast cancer. But that's the one that gets the vast majority of research dollars. I just don't get it. It's very detectable, very early, and once detected, you have a very high risk of surviving. Most cancers are NOT like that.

I hate to say it, but I think the real reason Breast Cancer gets all the attention is because it's so "easy" (relative to other cancers) to get through, so there's many more survivors. And those survivors generally only support the breast cancer charities.

Beach Bum - you are one of the smartest guys here and I always respect your opinion and posts. I do respectfully disagree with 1 part of this. If you survive breast cancer, it can come back with a vengeance, spread meta-statically into your lungs, lymph nodes, kidneys and liver and then kill you quickly, brutally and dreadfully. I have seen it happen and I think taking breast cancer lightly or minimizing it in any way is a huge mistake. I know 1 person who died of "liver cancer" when the cancer was, as explained by her doctor, a return of her breast cancer which very quickly spread to her kidneys and liver and brutalized her - it was awful.

The key if you "survive" breast cancer or any other cancer is to keep treating and keep going to the doctor. If you have any odd symptoms - go to the doctor, don't go into denial due to fear. Some women are so afraid, after beating breast cancer the first time, they walk around in pain with "muscle pulls" or "pain in the back or leg from lifting or hiking" when the pain is actually a tumor or tumors. They are in denial some times - they know deep down - it might be cancer returned.

I know another lady who kept treating after she "survived" breast cancer and is still alive since she keeps treating it - never stopped. I might be wrong about all this - but this is what I have witnessed with my own 2 eyes.

Beach Bum - you are one of the smartest guys here and I always respect your opinion and posts. I do respectfully disagree with 1 part of this. If you survive breast cancer, it can come back with a vengeance, spread meta-statically into your lungs, lymph nodes, kidneys and liver and then kill you quickly, brutally and dreadfully. I have seen it happen and I think taking breast cancer lightly or minimizing it in any way is a huge mistake. I know 1 person who died of "liver cancer" when the cancer was, as explained by her doctor, a return of her breast cancer which very quickly spread to her kidneys and liver and brutalized her - it was awful.

The key if you "survive" breast cancer or any other cancer is to keep treating and keep going to the doctor. If you have any odd symptoms - go to the doctor, don't go into denial due to fear. Some women are so afraid, after beating breast cancer the first time, they walk around in pain with "muscle pulls" or "pain in the back or leg from lifting or hiking" when the pain is actually a tumor or tumors. They are in denial some times - they know deep down - it might be cancer returned.

I know another lady who kept treating after she "survived" breast cancer and is still alive since she keeps treating it - never stopped. I might be wrong about all this - but this is what I have witnessed with my own 2 eyes.

a lot of cancers that have tumors can do as you say. BBB's point still stands: of the spectrum of cancers breast cancer is one of the ones you would want as opposed to any other. even in late stages you have a 50/50 chance with breast cancer except for the very last stage according to this link: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/DetailedGuide/breast-cancer-survival-by-stage. what he said makes a lot of sense.

i knew a lady who had breast cancer, she had 2 surgeries, one to remove the tumor, and another to put an implant in her boob.

i don't mean to trivialize what she went through, but there are a lot of cancers that involve years of treatment, serious surgery to your torso or limbs, radiation, organ transplants, chemotherapy, physical therapy etc.

Last edited:
a lot of cancers that have tumors can do as you say. BBB's point still stands: of the spectrum of cancers breast cancer is one of the ones you would want as opposed to any other. even in late stages you have a 50/50 chance with breast cancer except for the very last stage according to this link: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/DetailedGuide/breast-cancer-survival-by-stage. what he said makes a lot of sense.

i knew a lady who had breast cancer, she had 2 surgeries, one to remove the tumor, and another to put an implant in her boob.

i don't mean to trivialize what she went through, but there are a lot of cancers that involve years of treatment, serious surgery to your torso or limbs, radiation, organ transplants, chemotherapy, physical therapy etc.

A dear friend survived breast cancer twice and ended up dying from brain cancer. The total time she spent in treatment & recovery for the three courses of cancer was 10 years...and the brain cancer was only the last 2 years. She underwent 4 courses of chemo & radiation for the breast cancer, two mastectomies & reconstructive surgeries, and a stem cell transplant & gamma knife treatment for the brain cancer. That was a lot of treatment, serious surgery, etc.

Personally, I went through 2 surgeries to remove tumors & finally a third surgery which was a mastectomy & reconstruction on one breast. The latter surgery was a 10 hour surgery involving removal of the breast tissue, bringing abdominal tissue up through the chest cavity to replace the breast tissue & create a new boob, and surgical closure in two areas. I was out of work for 2 months to recover because of the invasiveness of the surgery. I was lucky though...I did not have to endure the chemo or radiation that most women with breast cancer do because mine had not spread outside of the breast itself.

Just wanted to better inform the folks who think breast cancer treatment isn't serious business...

Nobody is saying it ISN'T serious business. Just that RELATIVE TO OTHER CANCERS, it is not as fatal. That's just a fact. It's based on data, not anecdotal evidence.

Tomorrow, my best friend, Wanda Bryant was suppose to be at the game helping me cheer the DEACS to victory but because of a second breast removal and reconstructive surgery 2 weeks ago that lasted 13 hours, she will be at home recovering, after getting out of the hospital today. I am grateful she made it through, so wearing PINK means a lot to me because she does, along with other moms at Wake that either have it, a survivor or lost their life to breast cancer, like my dear friend Genetria De'Geare who lost her life in her early forties to breast cancer in 2002. I don't want them to ever be forgotten and honoring them at the football games where we became close is a great way to do that. GO DEACS...BEAT THE CRIMINOLES!!!

Back