• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Going for a field goal...

wfunme

Reaction score
with 5 plus minutes on the clock was lunacy. Go for the tie and the touchdown on the long 4th down or go home. You might even get a penalty for pass interference. If you don't get it you still have the same amount of time left and you still need a touchdown.

It was fourth and goal from the 25. Here's your audition as Lobo's replacement... make the call coach.

If Newman makes the FG, the defense is jacked - get a stop we have a chance to win instead of tie. Should have tried to just get some of the yardage back instead going for the TD on 3rd and 25.

If Newman makes the FG, the defense is jacked - get a stop we have a chance to win instead of tie. Should have tried to just get some of the yardage back instead going for the TD on 3rd and 25.

QFT

No idea what we decided to do instead. A heave to the end zone/out of bounds of some sort.

with 5 plus minutes on the clock was lunacy. Go for the tie and the touchdown on the long 4th down or go home. You might even get a penalty for pass interference. If you don't get it you still have the same amount of time left and you still need a touchdown.

Going for it on 4th and a mile with 5 plus minutes on the clock (with all three timeouts) when you're only down 7 is lunacy.

This is correct. Had all three timeouts as well to try to manage the clock.

Of course you go for the FG there.

Our kicker is really accurate but we never ask him to make FG's longer than 40 yards. He MADE one vs. ND, but he usually is not asked to kick longer FG. That is why he makes all of them - they are usually of the shorter variety.

Our kicker's short kickoffs and our kick coverage and the genius late hits on kickoffs - gave ND great field position. That HURT and will kill us vs. Clemson.

Some similar issues with punting...tv announcers don't get Grobe football.

that whole sequence was a nightmare. Tanner had time to throw the ball through the endzone on 1st down and preserve the chance, but took a bad sack. Then Reynolds got blown up on the screen.

On that play, ND had three lined up at the goal line. Short of a PI, nothing good was going to come of the heave. At that point, better off take 10-12 underneath and the 3 points.

On the third down play, I told my Dad they needed to try and run something to get into 4th-and-manageable. I wasn't sure we were going to be able to get the ball back, but kicking the field goal on 4th and goal from the 25 was the right call.

I didn't think it was a good call. Gray and Wood were running down our throats. Didn't we know they'd continue to do that? they were owning the line of scrimmage.

I thought it was 4 down territory and we had to go for it. Which meant our 3rd down play didn't need to be all or nothing, IMO.

On 3rd down, run something to Givens underneath and see what happens. If he gets inside the 10, consider going for the TD. If not, kick the FG.

On 3rd down, run something to Givens underneath and see what happens. If he gets inside the 10, consider going for the TD. If not, kick the FG.

Correct

Back