• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Going to Spain - Tell me where to go

wfudkn

cookout = blabbermouth?
Reaction score
So I'll be heading to Spain for two weeks in late August/Early September. My boi is getting married in San Sebastian on Monday, Sept 1, so my initial thought was to fly into Madrid on Saturday Sept 23, tool around Madrid for a few days, rent a car, hit one or two places on the way to San Sebastian (maybe in Rioja wine country), and then get to San Sebastian on Wed the 27th (I need to be there relatively early because wife and I comprise the entire wedding party and will be helping with shiz - and we've rented a villa for the week, so that's not going to suck either). So after the wedding we would either leave on Tuesday or Wednesday (the 2nd or 3rd, respectively) and then drive back towards Madrid, stopping somewhere on the way for a day or two, and then fly out of Madrid on Saturday the 6th.

So my questions for all you worldly travelers are these:

[1] If we stick with the plan above, what places have people been along that general route that would be worthwhile? We've looked at Burgos, Valladolid, Zaragoza, Pamplona and Logrono as potential stops, but I can't get a good feel if any would be worth spending any time in.

[2] Should I skip Madrid and instead fly in and out of Barcelona? I've been to Barca before, and while it's awesome, I've never been elsewhere in Spain, so I though Madrid would be better because it would be new. Don't know much about it though, and maybe Barca is just way better and I should go back there instead.

[3] Fly into Barca or Madrid and fly out of the other? My concern here is that we will have less time in either one than we would if we made just one of them our home base (since we would have nights there both before and after the wedding).

[4] Regardless of 1-3, since we may have a car in San Sebastian (don't know if we will turn it in when we get there and get a new one when we leave, or just keep it for the week), what are good day trips from San Sebastian? Pamplona, Bilbao and Bayonne (France) are all really close, and Bordeaux seems to be only 2+ hours away by car, so that defs seems like something I want to do.

Appreciate any help. Spain is by far the country in western Europe I have the least familiarity with.

So I'll be heading to Spain for two weeks in late August/Early September. My boi is getting married in San Sebastian on Monday, Sept 1, so my initial thought was to fly into Madrid on Saturday Sept 23, tool around Madrid for a few days, rent a car, hit one or two places on the way to San Sebastian (maybe in Rioja wine country), and then get to San Sebastian on Wed the 27th (I need to be there relatively early because wife and I comprise the entire wedding party and will be helping with shiz - and we've rented a villa for the week, so that's not going to suck either). So after the wedding we would either leave on Tuesday or Wednesday (the 2nd or 3rd, respectively) and then drive back towards Madrid, stopping somewhere on the way for a day or two, and then fly out of Madrid on Saturday the 6th.

So my questions for all you worldly travelers are these:

[1] If we stick with the plan above, what places have people been along that general route that would be worthwhile? We've looked at Burgos, Valladolid, Zaragoza, Pamplona and Logrono as potential stops, but I can't get a good feel if any would be worth spending any time in.

[2] Should I skip Madrid and instead fly in and out of Barcelona? I've been to Barca before, and while it's awesome, I've never been elsewhere in Spain, so I though Madrid would be better because it would be new. Don't know much about it though, and maybe Barca is just way better and I should go back there instead.

[3] Fly into Barca or Madrid and fly out of the other? My concern here is that we will have less time in either one than we would if we made just one of them our home base (since we would have nights there both before and after the wedding).

[4] Regardless of 1-3, since we may have a car in San Sebastian (don't know if we will turn it in when we get there and get a new one when we leave, or just keep it for the week), what are good day trips from San Sebastian? Pamplona, Bilbao and Bayonne (France) are all really close, and Bordeaux seems to be only 2+ hours away by car, so that defs seems like something I want to do.

Appreciate any help. Spain is by far the country in western Europe I have the least familiarity with.

Burgos has one of the best cathedrals in Spain. It's worth just stopping and visiting that but just for a few hours and not overnight. Ditto Valladolid with their Plaza Mayor. I personally like Barcelona more than Madrid (duh), but Madrid has a lot of cool sites, museums, restaurants, etc. I just think Barcelona has a better vibe overall (plus the beach). Bilbao is ok, but I think worth a detour if only for the Guggenheim, which is simply incredible. But if you can only do that or Bordeaux, I might opt for that.

Are you going to eat at any of the top end restaurants in SS? Like Arzak or Mugaritz? I haven't been to any of those, but it is by far one of my favorite cities in Spain, if not all of Europe. definitely fun to go to the top of the two peaks at either end of the Bahia de la Concha to take in the views from around the city and up the coast.

mad jelly over here.

I'm of no help; we did the southern Spain tour of Barcelona, Madrid, Sevilla, Cordoba. I'm super jealous though; I've been dying to go back to Spain.

Burgos has one of the best cathedrals in Spain. It's worth just stopping and visiting that but just for a few hours and not overnight. Ditto Valladolid with their Plaza Mayor. I personally like Barcelona more than Madrid (duh), but Madrid has a lot of cool sites, museums, restaurants, etc. I just think Barcelona has a better vibe overall (plus the beach). Bilbao is ok, but I think worth a detour if only for the Guggenheim, which is simply incredible. But if you can only do that or Bordeaux, I might opt for that.

Are you going to eat at any of the top end restaurants in SS? Like Arzak or Mugaritz? I haven't been to any of those, but it is by far one of my favorite cities in Spain, if not all of Europe. definitely fun to go to the top of the two peaks at either end of the Bahia de la Concha to take in the views from around the city and up the coast.

mad jelly over here.

Thanks! I think Bilbao is definitely on the list as a day trip once in SS, if for no other reason than the Guggenheim. Bordeaux is something I would like to do if time permits, but not something I am dead set on. As for restaurants in SS, the reception for the wedding is at Mirador de Ulia (which is a 1* ), but we're looking to to hit Arzak, Akelere and either Mugaritz or Kokotxa. We defs plan on eating well while we are there.

Tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas

Tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas tapas

yeah SS has the best in Spain. get some cider, some wine, and go wild.

Bring me back a few bottles of paxtaran/pacharán. Delicious anise & slow berry liqueur.

You're not spending enough time on the mediterranean coast. Think Valencia, Alicante.

El Escorial outside Madrid is an awesome tour. So is Alhambra outside Granada. Both Madrid and Barcelona were great just to roam around. Specifically La Rambla in Barcelona. We found a chair lift in Madrid that was fun. Tinto de Verano - drink lots of it.

yeah SS has the best in Spain. get some cider, some wine, and go wild.

Pimientos de Padrón - small green peppers served fried with olive oil and coarse salt. Most are sweet and mild, but sometimes hot and spicy. Spanish roulette.

Marbella & Barcelona are both incredible. I went there in 1992 so unfortunately I can't remember any details. Also did a day trip into Morocco from Marbella which was pretty awesome. Highly recommend Barcelona over Madrid...though I only spent an afternoon in Madrid.

If you've never been to Madrid, I think it'd be worth flying in/out of there (or at least in to OR out of). Lots of good museums.
I'll have more recommendations on places/possible travel itineraries from home...

How much driving are you comfortable doing, or would you prefer to stay close-ish to SS? Is the south even realistically an option for what you're hoping to do, travel-wise?

Back