• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Golf In Winston-Salem?

SotaDeac

Reaction score
I will be a freshman at Wake this coming fall and I was just wondering what the options are in terms of affordable, quality golf courses in the Winston-Salem area. As far as I know, Wake doesn't have its own golf course but are there any courses that are Wake student friendly?

Reynolds Park, Winston Lake and Tanglewood just to name a few. There are a ton in the area.

If you have a car, I recommend Silo Run. $17 for 18 holes with a golf cart, quality course, just about a 20-25 minute drive.

Lol do not go to Silo Run. The back nine might as well be a putt-putt course it is so gimmicky.

27 (affectionately known as doofus around these parts) nailed it. Winston Lake and Reynolds Park are dirt cheap and right in the city. Considering the price tag they are decent courses.

Tanglewood is a little out of the way and more expensive but is a great course.

Lol do not go to Silo Run. The back nine might as well be a putt-putt course it is so gimmicky.

27 (affectionately known as doofus around these parts) nailed it. Winston Lake and Reynolds Park are dirt cheap and right in the city. Considering the price tag they are decent courses.

Tanglewood is a little out of the way and more expensive but is a great course.

Nooooooooooooo!

Just cuz you shot a like 69 on the back 9...

Reynolds park isn't bad if you don't feel like using your driver all day. Winston Lakes course isn't bad but the greens are horrible.

Nooooooooooooo!

Just cuz you shot a like 69 on the back 9...

Reynolds park isn't bad if you don't feel like using your driver all day. Winston Lakes course isn't bad but the greens are horrible.

Haha, I'm still pissed we didn't find that picture perfect drive I hit on the par 5 with the ridiculous dogleg.

The greens at Winston Lake have actually dramatically improved. I remember them being shit my freshman year, but I went once this past spring when I couldn't get on at Reynolds Park and I was pleasantly surprised. At $11 for 18 holes its really incredible.

Olde Homeplace is also very reasonable and is usually in good shape. Pudding Ridge is a significant drive, but I always enjoy playing over there, except immediately after it rains. Used to play at Grandview when I was at Wake, and shot an 85 every time out there, but that has sadly closed.

Redwing, I assume you know the backstory of how Pudding Ridge got its name? I always laugh when I see that sign.

Second Reynolds Park/Winston lakes.

I'm a bad golfer to I appreciate the widdde fairways of RP, but even my friends who were better golfers had fun there.

Also both courses are pretty loose with drinking, etc. We flipped a cart once at Winston Lakes and didn't really get in trouble.

Haha, I'm still pissed we didn't find that picture perfect drive I hit on the par 5 with the ridiculous dogleg.

The greens at Winston Lake have actually dramatically improved. I remember them being shit my freshman year, but I went once this past spring when I couldn't get on at Reynolds Park and I was pleasantly surprised. At $11 for 18 holes its really incredible.

Yeah, that was the hole I nailed my eagle. Fantastic hole if you know how to play it right.

Biggest complaint about Winston Lakes was always the greens (and to a lesser extent the tee boxes) so if those are better, than you really can't beat it for $11.

Oh, also, Silo Run you could take a cooler of beer with you and they wouldn't give a shit.

Winston Lake is still a shithole. Only go there if you want to get wasted.

Winston Lake is still a shithole. Only go there if you want to get wasted.

I call bullshit here. When was the last time you played WL?

CumberlandDeac can back me up on this one.. it was in good shape when we played there a month ago.

I call bullshit here. When was the last time you played WL?

CumberlandDeac can back me up on this one.. it was in good shape when we played there a month ago.

A month and a half ago.

Shaggy greens where grass actually existed. Fairways are splotchy and inconsistent. Tee boxes pretty torn up, as usual. And nobody on that course ever fixes their ball marks on the greens.

The WL greens are really good now.

I have always preferred Reynolds Park though. I genuinely like the layout of the course and have a good time there.

Live next to Tangelwood, and my dad is a cart guy there. The greens and really courses as a whole were really struggling last summer, but they've spent a lot of time and money to rejuvenate both the Reynolds and Championship courses and they're both in great shape. And, its really not that far away from Wake (20 mins).

As Lord Cornwallis was marching his troops north during the Revolutionary War in 1781, he approached Dutchman's Creek in the Northern part of Davie County. There had been a recent rain and his troops had an aweful time marching and climbing a small ridge with their equipment. He remarked "it was like marching through pudding", so the name Pudding Ridge stuck. They have a sign placed in the 16th fairway commemorating the event.

I don't golf but several friends like Oak Hollow Golf Course in High Point. I think it's less than $30. It's also been named one of America's top 75 public courses. It's only about 25 minutes from Wake.

I usually hit up the Reynolds course at tanglewood when I was in college. Though I would venture out to Reynolds Park or Winston Lakes on rare occasion.

At the time the Reynolds course was nicer, only slightly more expensive, and not that far away so it made sense.

Back