• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good Ad

How does a landowner lose money in Virginia prior to 1863?

In Jefferson's case, you start with having expensive tastes, especially when it comes to french wine and books. Add in building a really expensive house on top of a small mountain, and then rebuilding it a couple of times when you get bored with it. Then have slaves who are good craftsmen build you a bunch of nice furniture to go in your really nice house but not really use their labor to make and sell other furniture to try to make a buck. Then have a farming operation that usually lost money. Jefferson had artist's mentality and didn't have a practical bone in his body. And yeah, he probably lost more $$ for someone who employed slave labor than most anyone in history.

Don't know Madison situation as well.

In Jefferson's case, you start with having expensive tastes, especially when it comes to french wine and books. Add in building a really expensive house on top of a small mountain, and then rebuilding it a couple of times when you get bored with it. Then have slaves who are good craftsmen build you a bunch of nice furniture to go in your really nice house but not really use their labor to make and sell other furniture to try to make a buck. Then have a farming operation that usually lost money. Jefferson had artist's mentality and didn't have a practical bone in his body. And yeah, he probably lost more $$ for someone who employed slave labor than most anyone in history.

Don't know Madison's situation as well.

You people need a new hero...:couch:

Don't include me with you people. And there are other folks around Cville who don't worship Mr. Jefferson, though not too many UVA grads who I've met - he's pretty popular with them.

Don't include me with you people. And there are other folks around Cville who don't worship Mr. Jefferson, though not too many UVA grads who I've met - he's pretty popular with them.

So I hear.

So everyone can see who did it.

Tags for this Thread
Add / Edit Tags
can't wait for bkf to die, letthemeatdog, none.
View Tag Cloud

If you make $100/ hr as a doctor or a lawyer and federal, state, and local taxes eat up 35% of that, then you manage to save $10/hour for 30 years for your retirement but inflation eats that up faster than the interest you are able to recieve from your government bonds increases it, then you will be destitute and dependent on the government when you wish you could retire in some comfort. You will never believe the government had anything to do with your failure. You will probably bitch and moan about "rich" people. You will be a stupid idiot.

skip to 1:33

Lots of wealthy people have been Presidents (Washington, Jefferson, Madison, both Roosevelts, JFK, both Bushs), so the wealth angle isn't an issue for me. I don't expect President to be the average American (far from it), but they should have a basic understanding of how the average American thinks. "I didn't have sexual relations with the woman, Miss Lewinsky" was absurd on multiple levels. So was Newt's bogus claim that maybe he loved America and worked too hard to explain his seven year affair with the hair-helmeted bimbo. That was the best explanation he could come up with after a dozen + years!?! Herman Cain should have never run given his women problems. That's a pretty good chance Mitt will be the next President, but I find it depressing that he didn't have a clue that offshore accounts aren't something relateable to for most Americans. International tax shelters are a bigger bozo no-no than windsurfing or supermarket check out scanners. I saw a poll this morning saying Mitt's likability rating is 27% (vs 63% for Obama). The low rating isn't just because he's rich and dorky. He needs to be more forthcoming with his personal finances. Saying that's purely a class warfare play is like saying Monica Lewinsky was only about people who hate sex.

well said

If BHO would release his high school and college transcripts, I bet Romney would release 5-10 years of returns. That would be a fair swap. Even GWB (a C student) released his college transcripts. What could BHO be hiding?

My guess is that the backlash from both disclosures would balance each other out.

If BHO would release his high school and college transcripts, I bet Romney would release 5-10 years of returns. That would be a fair swap. Even GWB (a C student) released his college transcripts. What could BHO be hiding?

My guess is that the backlash from both disclosures would balance each other out.

Obama isn't claiming his grades are why he should be president again. Romney is running on his business experience.

What crap!!!!

Trying to compare actions in childhood actions of a 55-64 yo man is ludicrous.

Is there a poster with and 8 at the beginning of their handle that isn't just a total tool? 81, 84, 85 all fit the bill. Can we get an 86deac or somebody to help balance this crew out?

It's up to the voters what they care about enough that it could hurt a candidate's election chances. Romney will be hurt by this unless he puts the records out there. He's under no requirement do so.

Back