• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good article on Nikita Whitlock (playing now)

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
http://www.bengals.com/news/article...les-odds/e0baceee-2a4a-48f4-a9da-3271db2af9ad

The NFL’s third preseason game is supposed to be the dress rehearsal for the starters. But for those living on the bubble in Bengaldom, Sunday’s game in Arizona (8 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 5) is the play itself.

If you’re rookie fullback Nikita Whitlock, that still might not even be enough if the game doesn’t go the way you hope. With the Bengals trailing in the second half of last week’s 23-17 loss to the Jets, they opted to try to catch up throwing the ball and that meant just five snaps from scrimmage, half his special teams snaps.

Plus, it’s just the second game he’s ever played those positions on teams. And don’t forget, it’s just his third game ever on offense since high school. A dress rehearsal? It’s more like a Night at the Improv.

And the first cut, from 86 players to 75, probably happens Monday because it has to be done Tuesday by 4 p.m.

“It’s terrible,” Whitlock says of the frustration of knowing he can do it but not until he learns it. “It’s absolutely terrible. When you get in and Coach says do something and it’s something you haven’t done before and you try your best and the best isn’t good enough yet…You need the extra reps. It’s very frustrating.”

The good news is they love Whitlock’s strength, toughness, and willingness to do the job. The bad news is that between fullbacks and tight ends they’re probably going to keep four players at the final cut down a week from Saturday and fellow free-agent Ryan Hewitt appears to have one of those spots locked up next to Jermaine Gresham and Tyler Eifert. Veteran tight ends Alex Smith, Orson Charles, and Kevin Brock have tons more experience as NFL blockers, so he looks to be staring at a practice squad apprenticeship.

But the 5-10, 250-pound Whitlock brings a never-say-die defensive mentality to offense. A former first-team ACC nose tackle at Wake Forest, Whitlock sees the upside as long as the clock is still ticking.

“The bad thing is there’s a lot I need to learn,” he says. “But the good thing is there’s a lot I need to learn. That means I can progress through a full season, the second season or third season. It will be very hard for me to hit a plateau because there’s so much more for me to learn.”

Even though he was a speck compared to the large offensive linemen he worked against in college, Whitlock is used to blowing up plays with sheer will, strength, and leverage against jerseys right smack in front of him.

Now in an NFL offense, he has to find them.

“I have to learn how to navigate through the offensive line to get to our responsibility. Even figure out how the (line) backer scrapes from the offensive point of view and find him on an edge while blocking the play,” Whitlock says. “It’s hard to pick the hardest thing. The whole position is different. The one thing that’s the same is you get to be physical. I can do that.”

Which is why they like working with him. When he arrived back in May, the little big man hushed the weight room benching 495 pounds. But he still has to impress special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons in the wide expanses of NFL space and while Simmons is a big advocate of a one-time defender playing special teams, Whitlock still needs the reps.

He didn’t get any special teams in the opener in Kansas City because of a foot injury, which made the Jets game his teams debut.

Whitlock says he blocked two punts and two field goals up front in college, but now he’s learning other spots on teams. Field goal block is a defensive position now, so now he’s learning to play in space covering punts and kicks.

“Darrin is real particular. There’s a lot of information thrown at you,” Whitlock says. “It’s a totally different game.”

He’s had 11 snaps in two games at fullback. Not much tape there.

“I’m hoping this week we get up early and stay up,” Whitlock says. “I’d like to get 10-12 snaps to show my worth.”

A dress rehearsal for some. Everything for everybody else.

Man........I really hope he can make it.
I'm glad the team seems to recognize that he's a special player..........'Strength, toughness and willingness to do the job'

I don't think he will make this Bengals team. However I'm hoping that that will be a blessing in disguise cause I'm hoping another team will pick him up and give him a shot at DT/DE where I think he could excel at even at this level.

Just got home and turned to the game. Did Nikita play tonight? If so, how did he look?

The Bengals were in an empty backfield or one back set the whole second quarter. Didn't see the first.

Looks like the same in the second half.

Making the practice squad would be huge. Hope the writer is right.

Good article on Nikita Whitlock

Whitlock is in. Had a nice block on a long run.

Last edited:
35. Can't miss him if he's in. He's the FB.

Should they be talking about gambling lines?

That what they did. Literally as you posted it they were talking about Cardinals Super Bowl odds.

Back in. He's been in mostly offset I-formations.

If he does get cut, he's gotta end up somewhere. Christ knows the Bears could use someone- anyone- to open up lanes. His attitude and work ethic has got to get him a look if Cincy lets him go.

He played well. I was impressed considering it was his third game ever at FB. He's the only FB who played that I saw. They clearly wanted to get a good look at him.

Like Camp, wish we coulda been better for Nikita. A legend

Back