• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

There isn't a place in DC that has a waiting list under a few years, and a few years would probably be lucky. I got on one list maybe 10 years ago and have given up any hope of every getting any. If you want to overspend on some pappy I know of a place in town that has each of the 15, 20 and 23. But hoo boy does he charge a premium. I think 15 and 20 are somewhere around $350 and $500, respectively. The 23 is $1500.

There isn't a place in DC that has a waiting list under a few years, and a few years would probably be lucky. I got on one list maybe 10 years ago and have given up any hope of every getting any. If you want to overspend on some pappy I know of a place in town that has each of the 15, 20 and 23. But hoo boy does he charge a premium. I think 15 and 20 are somewhere around $350 and $500, respectively. The 23 is $1500.

What morons are paying those prices? God I hate name-driven booze: Pappy, Russian River, Hopslam, Nugget Nectar, etc. All are very tasty, but they are so slobbed over it is redunk.

I wasn't completely focused on Pappy, just threw that out there because it's the first thing that came to mind

I wasn't completely focused on Pappy, just threw that out there because it's the first thing that came to mind

I am sure there are others on the master list by B&D on the first page that will fit the bill.

Has anyone seen any Elmer T. Lee on shelves lately?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to rag on you. I worked at a beer retail store in between farming seasons back in the day, and that stuff drove me nuts. I didn't mean to jump on you. I would say you should go with a nice bottle of 12 year Macallan. It is a perfect scotch for all drinkers. I prefers Islays (such as Lagavulin), but I always love a pour of Macallan. It would be a crowd-pleaser, and you won't have to break the bank on it.

I am sure there are others on the master list by B&D on the first page that will fit the bill.

Good call, I forgot about those posts. Maybe I'll just wander into the biggest store in downtown Charleston a day or two before the wedding and pick up whatever strikes my fancy.

Good call, I forgot about those posts. Maybe I'll just wander into the biggest store in downtown Charleston a day or two before the wedding and pick up whatever strikes my fancy.

There is a store in downtown Annaoplis (Mills) that, on occasion, has some pretty interesting stuff, both bourbon and scotch.

There are plenty of good liquor stores in SC you could hit up before the weddings (assuming they are next summer). Almost all the towns of any size (Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach) have 1-2 rocking liquor stores. I will say Savannah, GA has some really good liquor stores.

Definitely look for Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition (FRSmB LE) and the Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition (FRSB LE).

The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) is also very good and desirable:
George T Stagg (GTS)
William Larue Weller (WLW)
Thomas H Handy (THH)
Eagle Rare 17 (ER17)
Sazerac 18 (Saz 18)

I think I should do an acronym post.

Definitely look for Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition (FRSmB LE) and the Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition (FRSB LE).

The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) is also very good and desirable:
George T Stagg (GTS)
William Larue Weller (WLW)
Thomas H Handy (THH)
Eagle Rare 17 (ER17)
Sazerac 18 (Saz 18)

I think I should do an acronym post.

Is that BTAC widely available?

There are plenty of good liquor stores in SC you could hit up before the weddings (assuming they are next summer). Almost all the towns of any size (Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach) have 1-2 rocking liquor stores. I will say Savannah, GA has some really good liquor stores.

It's in a couple weeks and I'll be flying in. I'll find something

The BTAC stuff doesn't even hit the shelves here. Sucks. I really like the WLW. I think it's my fav of them all.

I want to make sweet love to all of the Weller bourbons. Definitely want to try BTAC WLW. Obviously, any of the Van Winkle bourbons are on my list. One day!

The BTAC stuff doesn't even hit the shelves here. Sucks. I really like the WLW. I think it's my fav of them all.
Montgomery County got an allocation. They have an email listserv for the rare booze. For the BTAC you responded with your preferences and then they let you know what you could buy.

If anyone is looking for the Parkers Heritage Collection Wheat Whiskey in northern South Carolina let me know...I found a few bottles but left them on the shelf. They are $99 each. Just shoot me a PM.

Back