• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Smooth Ambler would be my suggestion. Is the McKenna BIB non-chillfiltered?

Not sure. This is what I have if that helps. Will check tonight when I get home.

henry_mckenna_bourbon.jpeg

Went to the one in Lewisville Friday night. No OWA 107 (can't get it right now) and no Blanton's. The clerk did say she could order me Weller Special Reserve but I would have to buy a case. So, I may do that once we figure out the barrel situation.

I picked up Larceny while I was there, anyone had it?

Yes, it's good. I like wheated bourbons so it suited my palate well. It drinks above its price range, IMHO.

They had the McKenna on sale at my local ABC store for $24.99. The bottling makes it look legit (I was a sucker). I've only had a few drinks with it and it is not as flavorful and good neat as the OWA but it makes a tasty Manhattan. They have OWA in most of the CLT ABC stores and it is slowly creeping up in price ($24.99 as opposed to low 20s and high teens when it's on sale).

Last edited:
Not sure. This is what I have if that helps. Will check tonight when I get home.

henry_mckenna_bourbon.jpeg

It will usually say it in the bottle. Sometimes it will be fully written out (non-chill filtered or un-chill filtered) and other times it will say NCF or UCF (in the case of my bottle below). It doesn't look like yours is, but McKenna isn't one of those labels that I have much experience with.

78587aaeb46d15a199ecc1a372f12665.jpg

I picked up Larceny while I was there, anyone had it?
I've had it before, and looked at it Saturday night. I like it, but not something I'd put in my normal rotation.

In Forsyth County they do.
Even though we're in Davie County, our Advance location is run by Forsyth County. We've got another store in Cooleemee that is run by the Rowan County Board. I may try to run by there in the next day or so to see what they've got. I cant imagine that community would frequent the higher shelf bourbons.

Mine looks the same as 78's. It might specify NCF vs. UCF on the paper note around the neck of the bottle (I threw mine away).

Mine looks the same as 78's. It might specify NCF vs. UCF on the paper note around the neck of the bottle (I threw mine away).

NCF and UCF mean the same thing. Most off-the-shelf bourbon is chill filtered while most barrel-proof single barrel picks are not. Lower proof barrel picks are usually chill-filtered unless they say otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering

Last edited:
Had my first glass of Pappy 23 tonight (when I say glass I mean sip of $75 1oz shot). The consensus was super smooth and the flavor stays in your mouth many minutes after sipping.

Last edited:
Got into the Old Scout Thanksgiving night. Picked up some Rittenhouse Rye on Friday.

Somebody gave my dad a bottle of Four Rose's single barrel but he mixes all of his bourbons so it was a total waste.

I sipped on it a bit over the weekend but on Friday night we tapped out the other bourbon in the house so my dad made himself a FRSB and Diet Coke which horrified me...

...then he knocked it off the table and spilled the whole thing.

Somebody gave my dad a bottle of Four Rose's single barrel but he mixes all of his bourbons so it was a total waste.

I sipped on it a bit over the weekend but on Friday night we tapped out the other bourbon in the house so my dad made himself a FRSB and Diet Coke which horrified me...

...then he knocked it off the table and spilled the whole thing.

I had a guy tell me once that his favorite mixed bourbon drink was a whiskey and coke with Pappy 15. Of course he had bunkered the hell out of Pappy 15 when it was $35 a bottle, but it still made a great drink.

Life is too short to drink shitty bourbon, no matter how you like to pour it (although I cringed hearing that story too!).

Last edited:
Enjoying a pour of a 9 year Willett outside at THE beach while sitting around the new fire pit thing my dad got.

14f6866cd5e0206091044915d0d597c7.jpg

Last edited:
Back