• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good Luck Will Zalatoris

Not sure how it all ended up working out, but Cameron Young did end up making the Players. He’ll tee off around 1.

Should we start a new PGA thread or let this be the golf thread?

Check out the video of Will Z's putting stroke yesterday. Yikes. He needs to work with whomever the current Dave Pelz putting guru is. As good a ball striker as he is, the putter is killing him.

Last edited:
Big yikes. Dude was drawing the number 8 with a wand.

Hey whatever works haha. He drained it.

Yeah, Willy Z needs to hire Brad Faxon or someone ASAP. He's too good to putt like such garbage. Even is he is just an average putter, he will make SO much more money.

Yeah, Willy Z needs to hire Brad Faxon or someone ASAP. He's too good to putt like such garbage. Even is he is just an average putter, he will make SO much more money.

What's the old saw, "Drive for show, putt for dough" seems to apply here. I'm surprised the Wake golf coaching staff didn't fix Will's putting.

If they put them out in bitter cold with 40+ mph gusts, 17 is going to be bonkers.

What's the old saw, "Drive for show, putt for dough" seems to apply here. I'm surprised the Wake golf coaching staff didn't fix Will's putting.

Putting, like all other aspects of golf, may not always be that fixable. Ask Johnny Miller. Tiger and Phil have been wild with their drivers in recent years, and guys like Westwood, Mahan and Kaymer have never been even decent chippers. Will just putts like Miller and Dufner, at least so far in his career.

Tomorrow will be colder but less windy/gusty. There will still be some wind, but today was just bonkers gusty.

I have never seen so many shots in the water.

I think there were 2 issues that were causing so many issues on 17. NBC at times was showing the wind velocities at both ground level and at like 100 feet up. At times it was blowing < 10 mph at ground level and 20 mph higher up, so that probably led players to not hit enough club. The second thing was that some of those guys weren't knocking it down that much. They should have been taking a 7 and knocking it low.

Justin Thomas hit a 6 iron. To a 135 pin. And came up 15 yards short but made the green.

There were basically 3 really easy ways to screw up that shot. Koepka was one example, I'm sure he did the math - 125 landing spot, 40 yards of wind, hit your 165 club normal. But as mentioned, once a shot got above the stands with any spin, it hit a completely ridiculous amount of additional wind, and he caught a gust as well. It was going backwards when it hit the water.

Then you saw all the knock down attempts, like Scheffler, that just couldn't get their brain to commit to the shot. Guys are looking down at a 7 iron and a 130 target and just couldn't make themselves hit it. Probably a dozen or so of those weak quit swings out to the right.

Finally you had the Zach Johnson types who can really draw the ball that just over-drew it through the wind and went in long or left.

Just crazy difficult.

Back