• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good marathon training schedule

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
What is a good marathon training schedule for an intermediate runner? I run about 16-20 miles a week. I have run several long distance races and trained for but did not run a marathon (long story) 6 years ago.

My race is in November and I want to start planning now for my training.

Post in the running thread. That said, Hal Higdon is the standard most people start with, but I like the Furman FIRST plan (the weekly training plan... not suggesting you enroll in their program). I used it and heart rate training to go from not running for a year to completing the Charleston marathon last weekend in less than 13 weeks.

Last edited:
What's a good marathon training schedule? See a therapist twice a week until you get over the urge to run a marathon.

Post in the running thread. That said, Hal Higdon is the standard most people start with, but I like the Furman FIRST plan (the weekly training plan... not suggesting you enroll in their program). I used it and heart rate training to go from not running for a year to completing the Charleston marathon last weekend in less than 13 weeks.

That's about how long it would take me to complete a marathon.

Better get some newtons first. The lugs, man.

Troll on you wannabe Kenyan barefoot runner

But to the OP use Higdon's Beginner Plan. Its what I used, and is the standard.

I went from a complete noob to a marathoner in less than a year following his Half Marathon, then Full Marathon plan.

Another vote for Hal. I like his training plans. He really breaks down different categories of runners so you can find the best for.

Troll on you wannabe Kenyan barefoot runner

But to the OP use Higdon's Beginner Plan. Its what I used, and is the standard.

I went from a complete noob to a marathoner in less than a year following his Half Marathon, then Full Marathon plan.

Lolwut

With a friend who did a marathon this morning. He finished 5 hours ago and is walking around like nothing happened. Takes sick shape to do this. Saw some nice runner bodies post-race.

I used my RunKeeper app's training program to do a half marathon a few months ago. It was really convenient to have the voice in my ear telling me my intervals and pace. They have a few free plans for all distances.

Back