• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good steak in W-S?

MagooDeac

Reaction score
The wife and I are in Winston overnight and she's wanting a good steak. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ryan's
Firebird's
Fratelli's
Putter's

Really can't go wrong with any of those 4, IMO.

Thank you for the info. Last time I was here overnight Village Tavern was the place to go, but then again Mayberry's was too...lol. Thanks again.

Cities Grill has a nice ribeye too. But Ryan's would be my first choice.

Thank you for the info. Last time I was here overnight Village Tavern was the place to go, but then again Mayberry's was too...lol. Thanks again.

No problem. Firebird's is a chain, but only regionally I think. Putter's is pretty casual, but they can cook a damn steak. Fratelli's is relatively new, and it can be hit or miss. Ryan's is consistently the best steak in town.

Ok, we're going to Ryan's! I appreciate the feedback. One last question. Are "golf shorts" ok or do I need to pick up some pants at the mall?

Firebirds- took the son there on Monday night to celebrate his graduation from Mother So Dear.

Ok, we're going to Ryan's! I appreciate the feedback. One last question. Are "golf shorts" ok or do I need to pick up some pants at the mall?

Most men will have on slacks, that said I seriously doubt you'll be the only one in golf shorts on Memorial Day weekend night.

Just got back from Ryan's...best damn steak I've had in a long time! I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thank you all.

Ryan's
Firebird's
Fratelli's
Putter's

Really can't go wrong with any of those 4, IMO.

Winston-- city in decline. Guy wants a good steak and the top four includes a chain and lil ole putters. Do people actually get steaks at Putter's? What the heck is Firebird's?

I've had a great steak at Putters. It is possible to enjoy a good meal and not get ripped a new asshole while doing so. And the company is usually better.

Yeah but a basic Chicken Sammich at Putters is like $12. Gotta give them credit for getting a piece of that trust fund/financial aid.

Winston-- city in decline. Guy wants a good steak and the top four includes a chain and lil ole putters. Do people actually get steaks at Putter's? What the heck is Firebird's?

I had the same thoughts initially. When I first started going there (circa 1998), it had the feel of 1,000 different Winston restaurants I had been to in the preceding two decades, namely, that we were five years away from saying "Hey, remember when that was Putters?" Good for them that they're still in business 15 years later.

I've had a great steak at Putters. It is possible to enjoy a good meal and not get ripped a new asshole while doing so. And the company is usually better.

And then there's this, which is almost worth its own thread: at what point do you get to in your life where you start eating affordable nonchain restaurants even when you can afford ostensibly nicer places. The volitional affordable dining stage.

If you can cook a damn steak, you can cook a damn steak. No need for pretense.

Firebird's is a steak joint over near hanes mall.

Is Diamondback's still around?

Is Diamondback's still around?

Last I checked a year ago it was, and the food was still great. The crab hushpuppies are money. Took my wife there on our first date and took here there for our second anniversary.

Back