• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good whiskey, scotch and rye (anything but bourbon)

So have you ever taken a trip to Islay with Nick Offerman or Michael Schur?

No. I go on Scotch tours with my son.

I'll bet Offerman has quite a Scotch collection. I like to watch his videos. I read that he wants to open a distillery in Scotland. He likes Lagavulin. (I do too.)

I'll bet Offerman has quite a Scotch collection. I like to watch his videos. I read that he wants to open a distillery in Scotland. He likes Lagavulin. (I do too.)

Have you been to Dornoch? Love that town and whatever the house scotch is at Royal Dornoch is delicious. Can’t remember the name.

This is probably a rube take but....... Scotch always tastes like what the air smells like coming out of a deflating car tire. Do not like, would not recommend,

I think you are referring to the peated scotch. It a smoking process, I believe, and has various levels. It’s an acquired taste for sure.

Have you been to Dornoch? Love that town and whatever the house scotch is at Royal Dornoch is delicious. Can’t remember the name.

No, I have not visited Dornoch. Did you play golf there? I went to the Glenmorangie Distillery which is about 10 miles from Dornoch.

I’m a fan of Cardhu 12 as an everyday scotch when I’m not in the mood for something super peaty.

I have sampled Cardhu 18. The 18 was nice. I haven't been able to find Cardhu in the stores around here. Did you find your bottle around D.C.?

Yeah, he and Schur are both huge Lagavulin fans, hence all of the Lagavulin references in Parks and Rec.

I like to have scotch and soda (I like the peaty flavor with soda more than bourbon or rye), but I find that scotch or other whiskeys on the rocks is too strong for me. Do you have inexpensive recommendations for wimps like me who like to have it with soda?

I clicked on this thread only to recommend Monkey Shoulder, but it is already recommended.

If we're talking rum, this stuff from Panama is fantastic. I buy it every time I travel to Latin America for work (I don't think NC ABC stores carry it but I haven't checked too closely).

ron-abuelo-12-year-old-anejo-rum__29772.1468598220.1280.1280.jpg

Ha! Finally found someone crazier than I about Scotch. I currently have 39 different bottles (mainly single malts) on hand and have probably tasted 100, or so. I tend to go for peaty scotches - Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites, along with Talisker 18. I also go for the Macallan's and most of the Balvenie's (don't like their Caribbean Cask). My wife prefers any of the Tomintoul's. I haven't purchased a bottle in several years, but keep getting bottles for Christmas

One of the more unique brands I've tried is Poit Dhubh blended 12 - do you have notes on it?

Man, I thought that with the Caribbean Cask and then I let it sit and open up for 20 minutes. Whoa what a difference, the vanilla comes through and it is totally different.

Grabbed this the other day for a cool $99. Cheapest I've ever seen it.

l-highwestmidwinternightsdram-2.jpg

Yeah, he and Schur are both huge Lagavulin fans, hence all of the Lagavulin references in Parks and Rec.

I like to have scotch and soda (I like the peaty flavor with soda more than bourbon or rye), but I find that scotch or other whiskeys on the rocks is too strong for me. Do you have inexpensive recommendations for wimps like me who like to have it with soda?

I don't add anything to my Scotch unless it is cask strength. If it is cask strength I add a little water.

If you want a sweeter, lighter Scotch you might try Auchentoshan 12-year-old. Some people call it the breakfast cereal of Scotch. Another light Scotch is Dalwhinnie 15. It is called "The Gentle Spirit".

Great thread and absolutely, anything but bourbon.
Scotch here, all year round no gin, vodka though I enjoy an occasional Bloody Mary or beer. I did I recently try Clooney's tequila which was incredibly smooth.
Glenliviet 12 my go to; spoiled by light, single malts, nothing too oaky. I do have a bottle of Glenliviet 21 I am slowly sipping on special occasions. Also a bottle of JW Blue given as a gift but just ok as it is a blend, never the less. Went to Scotland in May and tried a different single malt each night; great time.

I honestly don’t get it.

Do y’all honestly like whiskey/whisky and hate bourbon? Or, are you sick of the hype machine?

Can't speak for others, but I drank my share of bourbon until I discovered scotch. I lost my taste for bourbon as I acquired my taste for scotch. These days I'd go for a good Canadian before a bourbon. Bourbon now tastes sweet to me.

I have sampled Cardhu 18. The 18 was nice. I haven't been able to find Cardhu in the stores around here. Did you find your bottle around D.C.?

I usually get a couple bottles when going through duty free. Heathrow usually has the 12 year for $40 and the 15 year for $60.

I haven’t looked for it recently in DC.

Can't speak for others, but I drank my share of bourbon until I discovered scotch. I lost my taste for bourbon as I acquired my taste for scotch. These days I'd go for a good Canadian before a bourbon. Bourbon now tastes sweet to me.

That's fair.

Given some of the brands/bottles mentioned on here, though, it just seemed to me that the hype was catching up to folks. It seems like a shame to me that distaste with hype could affect one's actual taste.

Meanwhile, wfudkn is doing his annual scotch clinic in the other thread as he makes his way through his advent calendar.

No doubt some folks are influenced by the hype over scotch. There wasn't any hype when I started drinking it. I assume there were a few single malts available, but I didn't know about them. The "big four" blended scotches were Walker Red, Cutty Sark, J&B and Back & White. I drank J&B on the rocks and Cutty with water. Walker Red was the lightest of the four and we considered it a scotch for the ladies.

My first single malt was Glenmorangie 10, given to me by a close friend. I later gave him a bottle of Balvenie (now called their Cassic). Interestingly, we both still have those first (long since empty) bottles.

One of my brothers was a partner in one of then big 8 accounting firms. He was in charge of the account of the importer of Wm. Grant & Sons, LTD liquors (Monkey Shoulder is one of theirs). He put me on to Balvenie. When my brother retired, Grant gave him three mixed cases of their single malts. He gave me half. As a side note, one of the Grant guys, fueled by a night of sipping Balvenie Double Wood, told my brother that The Macallan lineup was pretty much better across the board.

Back