• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Google Chromecast

Just bought one and already have Netflix. The great thing about this is my cat can no longer chew my fucking hdmi cable that runs to my laptop. I can just do all of this from my phone now.

Purchasing. The portability and cross-device compatibility is huge. Lots of potential for business, travel, vacation, etc. I have a HDMI adapter for my phone, but that requires me to leave my phone sitting by the TV if I want to show a video, etc while at a friend's house.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for it to be posted on Amazon so I can use Prime shipping. Supposedly will be on there this afternoon.

Looks awesome. Will be interested to see though if it works with other services (Hulu, etc.) and if it works for streaming from the web (for example, watching shows on the TV network's site and then using Chromecast to put it on the TV screen). In the past, such things have been blocked if it was detected that you are connected to a projector, for example. Anyone know about that?

Looks awesome. Will be interested to see though if it works with other services (Hulu, etc.) and if it works for streaming from the web (for example, watching shows on the TV network's site and then using Chromecast to put it on the TV screen). In the past, such things have been blocked if it was detected that you are connected to a projector, for example. Anyone know about that?

From what I understand, it can mirror any tab on Chrome and whatever is in that tab. I don't think the site would be able to detect that you were mirroring it to your TV. Only way they could block it would be to block Chrome, which they are not going to do.

Not sure though. But for $8 (since I was going to pay for Netflix anyway), it's worth a flyer. If MLB.tv works on it too, that's just icing on the cake.

Does it only work with streaming from phones and tablets? Or from computers, too?

From what I understand, it can mirror any tab on Chrome and whatever is in that tab. I don't think the site would be able to detect that you were mirroring it to your TV. Only way they could block it would be to block Chrome, which they are not going to do.

Not sure though. But for $8 (since I was going to pay for Netflix anyway), it's worth a flyer. If MLB.tv works on it too, that's just icing on the cake.

For $35 then I'll give it a go. Wife and I have been talking about dropping cable since TWC sucks and is raising our prices (yea, I know, call and complain, but I've been busy of late and had to do that last year and it took a while), so this might be a good way to do it.

Good question... if the free Netflix is only available through Google Play, I'll order from there. I've got one sitting in my cart.

Edit: According to this, the free Netflix is good for a purchase from Amazon or Best Buy as well

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offer

Good to know. When is it set to drop on Amazon? As of right now I have it ordered through Google, and I wont be billed until its ships which is July 27.

Good to know. When is it set to drop on Amazon? As of right now I have it ordered through Google, and I wont be billed until its ships which is July 27.

I read somewhere it was being posted on Amazon at Noon PST, so 3:00 eastern time. I keep refreshing the page of search results though... hopefully the 3:00 is accurate

$35 is a great deal. Don't see the benefit for Smart TV owners. Apps are weak (they are weak in the TV industry in general but they are lacking for Chromecast) and hopefully they'll be getting more soon.

Last edited:
Back