• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Google on GPA's, Brainteasers for hiring

awaken

Reaction score
Insights from Google on recruiting and hiring
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...ecruiting-and-hiring?trk=tod-home-art-large_0

Should the university environment change to better indicate professional success? If so, how?

After saying that brainteasers are a waste of time, he says this: "One of my own frustrations when I was in college and grad school is that you knew the professor was looking for a specific answer. You could figure that out, but it’s much more interesting to solve problems where there isn’t an obvious answer. You want people who like figuring out stuff where there is no obvious answer.”

Isn't that the purpose of the brainteaser - to see them try to solve a problem with no obvious answer?

Not sure why this is news. Banks have been doing this for years.

The news is that they don't use brainteasers. I have heard at least with programmers they do a bunch of exercises though. Regardless, I work for a firm where ~70% of interview time is dedicated to hypothetical situations (they're "case interviews", not brainteasers though, so they are a bit more focused and are relevant to what we actually do). I have helped prep numerous candidates, and I think that the process really does draw out differences in them. Whether or not these differences are correlated with success at the firm I don't know.

Our company spends a great deal of time and money into the hiring process and we similarly agree that brain teasers are irrelevant. We rather use an intensive case interview process that attempts to similarly mirror some of the situations the potential hires would actually see at work. How they approach the problem, work their way to the solution, and handle potential obstacles or curveballs is significantly considered in the hiring process.

We don't care about GPA or much of your history, we want to know that you have the aptitude to succeed at the company and approach problems in the right way.

Most analyst hires will go through 3 case interviews and one behavioral interview.

It's interesting data. I interviewed with Google in the spring and the process is more refined now than it was previously (that's what I'm told at least). IMO, they really tailor every question to your resume and background. They also simulate real life scenarios in the interview and try to test the depth of your knowledge on a particular subject.

Back