• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Google Photos App

lazydeac

Reaction score
I hate tech shit and suck at it so I'm posting this here because it is really pissing me off and wanted to see if anyone has the same issue or can offer solutions.

My iPhone was constantly filling up on photos and I was having to purge them one by one to free up space so I downloaded the Google Photos App because it basically advertised/promises to fix this problem by storing all your photos without using your phone's space.

The problem is it doesn't seem to do this at all. It keeps them both on your phone and takes up space on your Google "cloud" also. And somehow the app grows everyday in how much space it takes up on my phone. Now its up to 7.1 gigs and I haven't even taken any more pictures. It basically fills up my phone everyday and I have to figure out what else I can delete and now I'm just out of stuff completely.

On top of that, I figured I could delete a bunch of pics from my app and they would be saved on the online/cloud version of Google Photos but they weren't - that side of it purged them automatically and now those are just gone.

I'm just going to get a new better/bigger phone at this point I think but what the hell is wrong with this app?

You have to go into the app and free up space on your phone. The option is "free up space" under the three lines to the left of the search bar at the top. It allows you to delete photos you've already backed up.

If you don't want a photo deleted from google photos to also delete the photo from your phone, you may need to go into the settings in a web browser and change that.

You have to go into the app and free up space on your phone. The option is "free up space" under the three lines to the left of the search bar at the top. It allows you to delete photos you've already backed up.

If you don't want a photo deleted from google photos to also delete the photo from your phone, you may need to go into the settings in a web browser and change that.

Thanks - didn't realize that was there. It did make a small difference but I'll have to play around with how to change the settings like you said to really free up what I need.

Sure thing. Remember that it's just pics and not video files (larger). I've found it to be very helpful ... and the search functionality of google photos online is pretty amazing. I searched for "puppy" when looking for a specific picture of my dog and it took me to the photo set I needed without sorting through 7-8 years of mobile phone photos.

Yes I agree the search is incredible on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back