• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP and Cuban Immigration?

FuckmouthedRube

Reaction score
Heading to Miami for a long weekend and finally got around to reading Tom Wolfe's latest book, "Back to Blood". A huge theme in the book is Cuban immigration and assimilation. Obviously the GOP has problems with Latinos and immigration, but it's kinda amazing that the GOP base is so hostile to people illegally entering the country through Mexico, but there's very little discussion about ending fast track citizenship for any Cubans who set foot on American soil. Cubans seem to be the only Latino group that widely supports the GOP, but I can't see how the GOP can reconcile blanket amnesty for Cubans but zero tolerance for other Latinos.

Anti-Castro sentiment and GOP support among Cubans.

Of course, younger Cubans aren't one issue voters and didn't live through the Castro regime like their parents and grandparents so they don't support the GOP as much.

Interesting thread as the cover story in the Florida Bar magazine this month is about the Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court who was born in Cuba in 1952.

A good percentage of the Cubans are much more "Spanish" than Hispanic. In Latin and South America, there is a huge pecking order between Europeans and mixed race or black people.

Don't think it will happen, but Rubio on the GOP ticket would exacerbate GOP's problems with Latinos if Cubans continue to receive preferential immigration status. Policies were put in place in the mid-'60s during the height of the Cold War, but now both Cuba and the US have significantly relaxed travel restrictions for families.

People lump together Hispanics, but there are vast differences in the "immigration" experiences of Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Chicanos, and South Americans. And I think that's a factor that generates some animosity between the groups.

The Cuba policy is increasingly antiquated since Fidel stepped aside, but as long as he is alive and Florida is a competitive state, neither party will do anything to damage their standing in the state. It will likely die when Fidel and his brother do.

People lump together Hispanics, but there are vast differences in the "immigration" experiences of Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Chicanos, and South Americans. And I think that's a factor that generates some animosity between the groups.

Especially Puerto Ricans, since they're US citizens at birth.

Especially Puerto Ricans, since they're US citizens at birth.

Which is why I put immigration in quotation marks.

The immigration issue for Hispanics isn't that big of an issue in FL since our two biggest groups are Cubans and Puerto Ricans.

Yet baseball players can enter our borders and the cigars can't.

Back