• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP Governor: No Special Election for Rep Conyers Seat

Nice. That's just a few thousand people with no representation in the House. No big deal.

I'll admit I missed this the first time through:

Jonathan Kinloch, Democratic chairman for the 13th District, said he supports the dates Snyder chose and he called Snyder's office Thursday to ask for those dates.

Time is needed to raise money so a wide array of potential candidates are able to run, Kinloch said. If early dates were chosen, only "swamp monsters" with ready access to money from lobbyists would be able to compete, he said.

That dude has some questions to answer.

It’s a house seat, so not sure why there’d be a special election. Name a replacement and wait for 2018.

Interim replacements can be appointed for the Senate, I don't think that is true for the House.

For comparison:

It’s a house seat, so not sure why there’d be a special election. Name a replacement and wait for 2018.

The problem is there is no replacement. I still every Senate or House nominee should appoint an assistant senator/rep when they run. That person (maybe a chief of staff or other position) can take over in a scandal or medical situation so there's never a point in time a district or state is unrepresented.

Back