• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP post-Obamacare ruling plans

Billy Mitchell

The King of Kong
Reaction score
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76422.html

If the law is upheld, Republicans will take to the floor to tear out its most controversial pieces, such as the individual mandate and requirements that employers provide insurance or face fines.

If the law is partially or fully overturned they’ll draw up bills to keep the popular, consumer-friendly portions in place — like allowing adult children to remain on parents’ health care plans until age 26, and forcing insurance companies to provide coverage for people with pre-existing conditions. Ripping these provisions from law is too politically risky, Republicans say.

I'm strongly anti-Obamacare, but it is retarded to keep those particular provisions without the mandate. Costs will skyrocket more. It has to be either all or nothing.

I'm strongly anti-Obamacare, but it is retarded to keep those particular provisions without the mandate. Costs will skyrocket more. It has to be either all or nothing.

Absolutely. If this actually happens, Republicans may actually be paving the way to the much-reviled single payer system. If costs skyrocket to the point where employers can't carry the burden and the vaunted exchanges are prohibitively expensive, the political winds are likely to blow back that way.

As smart as Obama and his inner circle are, could they have planned the bill in such a way that if it is overturned they get what they really wanted, single payer?

As 29 said, without the mandate, everything else falls apart. How will the 3M or so families feel about their young adult kids losing coverage?

How will seniors feel about losing "doughnut hole" protection?

How will those with pre-existing conditions feel?

How will the public feel when the #1 cause of personal and family bankruptcies becomes medical costs again?

As smart as Obama and his inner circle are, could they have planned the bill in such a way that if it is overturned they get what they really wanted, single payer?

As 29 said, without the mandate, everything else falls apart. How will the 3M or so families feel about their young adult kids losing coverage?

How will seniors feel about losing "doughnut hole" protection?

How will those with pre-existing conditions feel?

How will the public feel when the #1 cause of personal and family bankruptcies becomes medical costs again?

They'll feel just like they did a few years ago when they weren't carrying their 24 year old kids on their health insurance.

They are young adults. Let them fend for themselves.

You"re right fuck your kid with the pre-existing condition and a job without insurance coverage.

For once RJ and I agree. The real intention of this bill has always been to get us to a single-payer system. Been saying this since Day One.

Without the mandate, the entire thing falls apart and becomes unworkable.

I'd say it becomes more unworkable. It needed a true mandate to be successful.

The plan has been costed out in a bizarre way that will never approach reality. Since I don't have time to wait for someone to mention the CBO, I'll add that their latest estimates are based on the assumption that all employers who drop health insurance will add the savings to employee paychecks, adding payroll tax revenue to the system.

Since I don't have time to wait for someone to mention the CBO, I'll add that their latest estimates are based on the assumption that all employers who drop health insurance will add the savings to employee paychecks, adding payroll tax revenue to the system.

Which will almost certainly happen, right?

Facepalm

Back