• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

got to show some love to our hogmollies....

saltydeac

Reaction score
You don't get to a top 10 offense in NCAA fball without the roadgrading those guys are doing by opening up holes for RBs and keeping Jamie clean as we are just giving up 1 sack/game. Great work by the beef boys! Also great to see we are getting some snaps for our backups as well in every game and they are clearly holding their own which bodes well for the future.

Herron continues to be an anchor on the line and Tom has really stepped up in his first year at center. Hopefully they stay healthy and can continue to do great work as the work doesn't get any easier in weeks ahead.

Where’s the Beef?

On our O line.

OL has been ok but would guess we're one of the smallest groups....unless the listed weights are bogus.

The BC OL is, as usual, in the heavyweight class.

Last edited:
OL has been ok but would guess we're one of the smallest groups....unless the listed weights are bogus.

That's by design. Wake recruits the 240-270-pound OLs from high school, gets them in the program and builds them for 2-3 years. (Mike Edwards at 370 on Signing Day is the exception, not a move to what's going to be the norm)

I think I've said on here before: I had fascinating conversations (at least on my end) with Ryan Anderson about this last year. Wake is never, unless there's a complete freak, going to have the 330-pound OLs while it has an up-tempo offense. You just can't be that big and be conditioned enough to play drives that take 10ish plays in less than 3 minutes.

Wake's line is always going to be "undersized" when looking at ACC OL averages.

If I saw it correctly, Edwards was not dressed out on the sidelines Saturday. Is he hurt or a ways out of the rotation? I would have expected him to get some run in the 4th quarter.

If I saw it correctly, Edwards was not dressed out on the sidelines Saturday. Is he hurt or a ways out of the rotation? I would have expected him to get some run in the 4th quarter.

Believe he's still recovering from the fall camp injury that sidelined him almost all of August. Was/is of the undisclosed variety.

They've done a great job overall, particularly in pass pro. Far too often does the extremely delayed zone read/RPO still get blown up in the backfield, but it's hard to put the blame on the OL as slow as it develops. I'd love to see (as always) some quick handoffs mixed in to allow the beef boys to get downhill and Carney/Walker to hit the LOS with a full head of speed. This especially makes sense in short yardage situations, where we still struggled a bit, even against Elon.

I mean, we average 4.5 yards per carry as a team. So the extremely delayed zone read/RPO has been fairly successful.

The short yardage issue is something we need to address, no doubt. But I think it is more a question of playcalling/execution than changing the system.

I mean, we average 4.5 yards per carry as a team. So the extremely delayed zone read/RPO has been fairly successful.

The short yardage issue is something we need to address, no doubt. But I think it is more a question of playcalling/execution than changing the system.

Maybe so be we average .5 yards on any 3rd or 4th and 1 or 2. It is quite puzzling on how such a great offense can so struggle on such short yardage situations including against Elon. Seems we need to have a speedy WR do an end round to occasionally go to hold the LBs for a bit as seems like everyone is just bum rushing the line and we don't go anywhere.

Our O line averages around 6’ 5” and 290-300 lbs.
that’s plenty big if you’re strong and athletic
If you look at all American linemen over the last few years, that’s not far off the average size.

Perhaps we have been sandbagging short yardage end arounds till ACC games.

That's by design. Wake recruits the 240-270-pound OLs from high school, gets them in the program and builds them for 2-3 years. (Mike Edwards at 370 on Signing Day is the exception, not a move to what's going to be the norm) I think I've said on here before: I had fascinating conversations (at least on my end) with Ryan Anderson about this last year. Wake is never, unless there's a complete freak, going to have the 330-pound OLs while it has an up-tempo offense. You just can't be that big and be conditioned enough to play drives that take 10ish plays in less than 3 minutes. Wake's line is always going to be "undersized" when looking at ACC OL averages.

Thank you Conor.

WF has the real deal in Our Beef Boys. Watch as the season unfolds.

Back