• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GPS Running Watch

IamThunderbolt

Reaction score
Hey Pit

Looking for a birthday present for my wife.

She's been wanting a GPS watch with a HRM for some time.

She also just started a new job where she isn't allowed to have her phone with her during the day and there are no clocks on the walls, and wouldn't mind a watch - so looking for one that could be usable in an everyday situation (so not a "oh my god, what is that thing on your wrist" GPS).

Looking at the Garmin Forerunner 235 right now - seems to be a good tracker but compact enough to use as a regular watch.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Assuming a "Runnig Watch" is the same as a running watch, and not some horribly racist thing, then I basically have the same model and it's great. You definitely can't go wrong with Garmin.

A petite female friend of mine has the Forerunner 235 and really likes it. It's a much more reasonable size than some prior models, like my old 405 (which itself was much smaller than predecessors).

Have they made one of these yet that also has spotify that i could listen on wireless headphones with? Still holding out for one of those. I guess it'd require a data plan.

Have they made one of these yet that also has spotify that i could listen on wireless headphones with? Still holding out for one of those. I guess it'd require a data plan.

Apple Watch :noidea:

The Garmin 235 is a well regarded watch. You can't go wrong with it!

I'll chime in on the 235 as well. Wear mine every day. Has the HRM, counts steps. Its a great watch.

What kind of job does your wife have where you can't have a phone and no clock on the wall? My guess is a blackjack dealer or FBI

What kind of job does your wife have where you can't have a phone and no clock on the wall? My guess is a blackjack dealer or FBI

Inpatient Therapist/Substance Abuse Counselor. I think there are probably some clocks around maybe, but none readily accessible in places where she needs to keep track of time.

If she's wanting more of a watch-watch, you might also consider the Garmin Vivoactive smart watch.
Similar to the apple watch, but more activity-minded.

edit to add: it does a HR read off your wrist, which is pretty accurate (I've worn both a strap device and the watch and compared) and a lot more comfortable/less hassle than putting on a HR strap for every activity.

Is your watch running ?

Well, you'd better catch it !

I can't speak specifically to the 235, but my wife and I swear by garmin gps watches. She currently has the forerunner 220 and I have the 910. We could get newer models but no need to, we love them. But we don't wear them as our daily watches. They are great for running especially when you pair them with strava. If you want a gps running watch garmin is the way to go.

Amazon has the Garmin 235 on sale for cyber Monday. Those in the market should check it out.

Back