• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grade inflation

I didn't realize that Berkeley had built a second business school...

"Experts take high performance as evidence of high ability" but don't consider how easy it is to achieve that performance, wrote researchers from University of California, Berkeley's Haas School of Business

I've felt that schools should include something like a Z-score on transcripts to compare how you did relative to the rest of your class or your major. It seems easy enough to provide next to GPA. Distinctions like cum laude can give a good idea where you place, but requirements for them vary from school to school.

I had a stats professor who actually assigned grades based on standardizing exam/quiz/homework scores. So like a Z-score of 1 (one standard deviation above the class mean) or higher was an A, 0.25-0.99 was a B- to B+, and so on. It certainly motivated us.

"Go for the Easy-A": The OliveGardenDeac strategy for succeeding at Wake Forest.

helps...go to the easiest school if planning to go to graduate school./QUOTE]

Sounds like this study is concerned primarily with professional schools -- specifically, business school application.

Sounds like this study is concerned primarily with professional schools -- specifically, business school application.

was it the title "MBA Admission Tip" that gave it away?

Reactions: BDL
Back