• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grammy Watching Thread

The lyrics were about about a mean boyfriend...Yes she said she was singing at the Grammy's but that was fun.....It was like Bruce changing the words of Rosalita.

It's actually about her dad abusing her.

As to pop music, the Brits love Sir Cliff Richard almost as much as Sir Paul McCartney.

Indeed they do. Kinda creepy and weird that they do, but it's a fact.

And your point about "pop" being simplistic in the UK versus the US radio programming niches is valid. However, Adele 'crossed over' so many US niches that she was effectively the closest thing to a true "pop" hit in the overall US market as we've come in some time - certainly since radio got so fragmented in the genre sense while becoming incredibly consolidated in the ownership sense.

Nashvegas, don't hate on me until I finish this. I don't like country much. But it's impossible not to like Taylor Swift. She's so much fun and so honest in her performance.

Whatever "IT" is she's got enough for an entire state. I just really hope she doesn't become jaded.

Her playing, writing and performing could let her crossover to any style. She could become the biggest act on the planet for years to come.

First, I won't hate on you for your musical opinion. Per my comments above to Andre - everyone is entitled to their own. It's what's so beautiful about music - there is something for everyone.

Second, as for Taylor, my bottom line is this. She is a very talented - but still somewhat raw - songwriter, a decent singer, and a very shrewd entertainer who has benefited from (and has been surrounded/supported by) a great record label and marketing team from the very beginning of her career, and that I think you need to check your lenses. I think she is honest, but calculating, in terms of her songwriting, and I think she has - overall - come at her music career from a very honest way of being who she is. However, to think she's not yet become jaded, and that she's 100% 'honest' in her performances, is being incredibly naive (or blind). I'm personally tired of the "aw shucks" reaction she gives to EVERYthing. You saw it the other night almost immediately after her performance, even before the crowd response built to its highest level ... this look of "gosh, thanks so much, y'all really liked it!" - in an almost Sally Field at the Oscars kind of way. I'm sorry - that's the same reaction I've seen from her at every public - and private - music business awards show from the beginning - WAY more than enough to say that, now, IMO it's a 100% contrived reaction for effect.

Hahahahhaha

zk06y0.jpg

Someday I'll be too big to hit.

End this circle of abuse.

She wrote the song about being endlessly criticized by the media - and other performers - in the aftermath of her Grammy performance with Stevie Nicks a couple/few years ago. The lyrics make perfect sense; when she becomes such a big hit, the critics can't abuse her.

She wrote the song about being endlessly criticized by the media - and other performers - in the aftermath of her Grammy performance with Stevie Nicks a couple/few years ago. The lyrics make perfect sense; when she becomes such a big hit, the critics can't abuse her.

Yeah, pretty sure there was one guy in the media who was "mean" to her, criticizing one of her live performances.

Yeah, pretty sure there was one guy in the media who was "mean" to her, criticizing one of her live performances.

One in particular is a music biz 'insider' named Bob Lefsetz who excoriated her over and over. Though, as big as his head already is, I don't like to give him that much credit for the song's inspiration and rather attribute it to the critics at-large.

And she relates it to being smacked around by her Dad.

Back