• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grand Canyon Advice (Activities)

AnonymousDeac

Reaction score
Looking for some more fun, active things to do around the grand canyon. Kayaking/white water rafting, 4x4, etc.

Will really take any recommendations but looking for some more non-traditional grand canyon activities.

Are you doing north or south rim? Also, what do you consider "around"?
Driving up from Phoenix but don't have anything set out. Will only be there for 2 days and I've been once before, but looking for fun ways to do it a second time.

Around meaning relating to the Grand Canyon.

Last edited:
If you're wanting to do any rafting, you better check the wait list. Last time I was out there, the wait list to go down the Colorado was months long, but that's been several years.

I won't be any help with advice for things around the Grand Canyon to do

We did the North to South Rim hike a couple years ago, and coming up the south is tough because the last few miles are just switchbacks going right up the cliff side and it's tough when you've already hiked ten miles that morning. This is also where the main tourist location is, so as we were getting close to the end we started seeing more and more people just strolling down into the canyon from the entrance with their cameras and flip flops and whatnot, while we're carrying water packs and dripping in sweat. A lady who looked like she just came from the country club with a light sweater on her shoulders looked at us and said, "Wow you look very tired.....is it more difficult going back up?"

I won't be any help with advice for things around the Grand Canyon to do

We did the North to South Rim hike a couple years ago, and coming up the south is tough because the last few miles are just switchbacks going right up the cliff side and it's tough when you've already hiked ten miles that morning. This is also where the main tourist location is, so as we were getting close to the end we started seeing more and more people just strolling down into the canyon from the entrance with their cameras and flip flops and whatnot, while we're carrying water packs and dripping in sweat. A lady who looked like she just came from the country club with a light sweater on her shoulders looked at us and said, "Wow you look very tired.....is it more difficult going back up?"

Am I reading correctly that you did it all in one day? That's cool.

No my SIL organized the whole thing and we were able to stay at the Phantom Ranch so we did it in two days. I think we could have done it in a day but the last five miles might have killed me

Oh yeah I thought BA trail was shorter than ten so got confused but makes sense now. Definitely that last half mile or so when you look like a stinky sweaty beast and other people are there in flip flops with a beer and want to talk to you there's a lot of "fuck off" going around in my head.

You looking for backcountry/primitive camping suggestions? The BLM roads can take you to some pretty North Rim spots.

Will have to do some more research. Down for hiking, probably not camping. But still was looking for something more "activity like" such as rafting/kayaking.

Last month, we rented bikes in the South Rim and rode out to Hermits Rest and back. Great ride - pretty tiring coming back.

Atleast 20 years ago, my family and I went and I remember riding on the Grand Canyon railway, which was very memorable as a ~12 year old. We also took a Mule tour down to the bottom of the canyon.

We took a guided tour through Lower Antelope Canyon. Highly recommend.

Back