• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great Cover Songs Thread

A couple from one of my favorite bands:

Last edited:
Grace Potter & Joe Satriani cover "Cortez the Killer"

Nice. I guess Beck's name gets more people to click on it, but St. Vincent should probably be listed instead.

Without a question. Beck is more of the organizer of the Record Club series than a musician in that video. St. Vincent is just ... I'm deeply, deeply in love with her.

Another great cover was when Cyndi Lauper my boys, The Hooters' song Time After Time.

I used to share a girl with the bass player. Then one night he and I showed up at a club. We were very surprised. I said,"I thought you were fucking here tonight."

He said,"I thought you were."

I said, "I wonder if the other guy knows about us."

We both laughed.

It was really surrealistic to see them play in front of 120,000+ at JFK on one the great one day outdoor concerts ever:

The Hooters
The Clash
Santana
The Who

They just released a single of this on vinyl for record store day last Saturday. The version was from a show I saw in Charlotte a few months ago.

If you like blues here's Bonnie Raitt doing an old blues standard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvemcZBCTeY&feature=related

It's about as pure a blues song as you can get. Bonnie singing and playing slide guitar. Freebo on bass. John Davis on harmonica.

Listen to the whole thing. Something funny at the end.

If you like blues, you should look for Bonnie Raitt At Sigma Sound. It's still my favorite Bonnie record.

It's interesting that Bonnie and Norah Jones got to stardom the same way and each have voices way beyond their years.

Bonnie's dad was a huge Broadway star. She wanted to make it on her own and moved to Philly and Boston to play in bars.

Norah's dad Ravi Shankar could have opened up a lot of doors, but she went her own way.

Back