• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great play call on last possession...

The one thing I would have liked to see us do differently after CJ made the layup was to use some of our remaining fouls to run time off the clock while they still had the ball in the backcourt. We only had three team fouls, so we had three to give and 3.4 seconds to run off the clock. All's well that ends well, but we could have significantly shortened the amount of time they had to get a decent look at the basket had we used a different strategy.

I disagree ... I thought we were right in NOT fouling. What you'd be doing by fouling in that situation is stopping the clock and giving them the opportunity to advance the ball by making a long inbounds pass up court with no time running off the clock ... as it was, they had to advance the ball with the clock running and had to jack up a prayer from mid-court.

Speaking of timeouts...wondered why we didn't call one when Travis got the board with 10 seconds left in the 1st half...it's a use it or lose it...SO USE IT!!!

Speaking of timeouts...wondered why we didn't call one when Travis got the board with 10 seconds left in the 1st half...it's a use it or lose it...SO USE IT!!!

Yeah agreed. But I was yelling this when it happened so maybe that's why we share sentiments :plos:

Also...CJ should never, ever have kicked that ball...there was nobody in the lane at all...if he can't make that then idk what to tell you...

Wrong. McKie is sitting in the corner, wide open, calling for the ball. He got it with 5 on the shot clock and shot it in rhythm. He has a quick release, but it was not hurried at all, and he's been shooting it great. (I recorded the game and just re-watched the play)

If you think Nebraska's going to give Chase an uncontested look at that point, I don't know what to tell you.

They were on their heels, we had the advantage and got a great look. No problem at all not taking the time out there.

Agreed, that was not a hurried shot unless Travis made it so. He had plenty of space and time to get a great shot in rhythm off.

What I really liked was after CJ hit the shot, nobody celebrated, and all got right back to defense. Watch the ESPN replay and CJ runs back, TC picks up two guys on the inbouds, Chase picks up Spencer and runs with him, as Travis flies in front of Spencer to bother the long shot. No posing after hitting a big shot with 3.4 seconds left. All our guys' heads were still in the game and focused on defending until the final buzzer. Great stuff. Very nice win.

There was exceptionally bad defense by Nebraska on the last play of the game. It was laughable, I'm sure the play was to kick the ball out but when no one helped out in the lane and that goofy guy with the facemask was way out of position CJ just took it to the hoop.

The thing about giving it to CJ, is even if he gets swarmed in the lane, he's got an awesome ability to draw the foul. He just abuses players with his fake-then-shoot-into-them.

Ideally that sounds great, but the last thing you want is for the Nebraska player to throw up a shot from 3 quarter court and give them 3 BS free throws to take the lead.

Or get an intentional.

There was exceptionally bad defense by Nebraska on the last play of the game. It was laughable, I'm sure the play was to kick the ball out but when no one helped out in the lane and that goofy guy with the facemask was way out of position CJ just took it to the hoop.

Per the post game comments, they wanted the matchup at the top of the key with Diaz having to try to stop CJ, and we got it. And he couldn't. The other guys were to stay out on the perimeter to keep the lane open, and presumably be ready for a kick out if need be.

The play worked to perfection. Diaz couldn't show off the pick to slow down CJ, and the lane was open for a layup. Great call, crappy defense, but because we got the matchup we wanted.

He was out of position covering CJ, because the play was executed perfectly to set a pick to get him to switch onto CJ.

Their coach told their wings not to help off of Chase or Travis. That left the lane open and little help possible.

The play was to get Diaz to have to cover CJ and it worked to perfection.

Straight out of the Great Gaudino's playbook.

I could sue for plagiarism!!

Let's give credit where credit is due people.

Back