• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great sports nicknames

Need to take him off this list. World wasn't his nickname...it was his ACTUAL name. Had it legally changed from Lloyd to World in 1981.

IIRC, Free had said at one time that he was "all-world," perhaps because he had not made the All-NBA Team, or something like that. So, people started calling him "World," perhaps sarcastically at first, and then he took up the name officially. My memory is a little hazy but the Sixers of the Doc era had a number of colorful stories and characters. Free was just one of them.

IIRC, Free had said at one time that he was "all-world," perhaps because he had not made the All-NBA Team, or something like that. So, people started calling him "World," perhaps sarcastically at first, and then he took up the name officially. My memory is a little hazy but the Sixers of the Doc era had a number of colorful stories and characters. Free was just one of them.

I stand corrected. According to Wiki, Free got the nickname "World" or "All-World" from HS friends in Brooklyn. Then, he later changed it legally.

Chuck "Destroyer" Dahms, Boney Thoracic, Carlos "Bad-ley", "Disco" Ernie Graham, "Don't F##k With Buck " Williams, Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster

Black Mamba just for the ridiculousness of it and the fact it was 100% self-appointed.

The Great One just because of how there seems to be literally no doubt that he's the best.

Worst nickname is any first letter + first syllable combo.

The great one isn't even his best nickname

Skip "honey dip" wise (Clemson)1st freshman all acc first team. Very sad story.

Back