• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest Athlete of All-Time?

Greatest Athlete of All-Time

• Total voters
Is this not what we are arguing?

It really isn't excellent barometer for athleticism, because it is arbitrary in its scoring. The scoring changes over time. I think it use to be tied to relative performance against current world records in the events, but it still isn't that way. An arbitrary barometer is useful in measuring a single competition, but not in measuring even the relative athleticism of the athletes within that competition. Scoring a lot of points for shot putting doesn't necessarily make you a better athlete than the guy who beat you in the sprints.

So where is Jesse Owens in this discussion?

But Eaton and Hardee are still better all-around athletes than Bo Jackson and AP -- without a doubt.

Eaton's father and grandfather were football players, and he could have played football collegiately as well. I think he would have been a fine football player (or find success in baseball, soccer, or wrestling, all sports that he excelled at in high school), but I have no doubt that he would not have been the best in the world.

Bo Jackson was also an excellent track and field athlete -- his personal best at 100 meters, however, was 10.39. Eaton has run 10.21, and it is one of his weaker events.

Right, but no one tackles you during the 100. At Auburn, Bo was a football and baseball player who also ran on the track team bc he was fast and they could use him. If track were his main sport, he would have slimmed down to get faster. Bo played at 225 at Auburn. Justin Gatlin and most of the best sprinters run at around 180. Bolt is 6'5" and he only runs at like 205.

He never trained to be fast at track.

Just an update: Ashton Eaton just won the World Championship in Decathlon, with a world leading total of 8809 points.

"Eaton now holds World titles indoors (Heptathlon) and outdoors, the Olympic title and World records indoors (Heptathlon) and outdoors. He is also the first athlete to hold all three titles at the same time with the addition of holding both World records at the same time as well."

Some of his Personal Bests are staggering for a decathlete:

100 Metres10.21+0.4Eugene, OR22 JUN 2012
200 Metres20.76+1.8Walnut, CA19 APR 2013
400 Metres45.64Santa Barbara, CA05 APR 2013
1500 Metres4:14.48Eugene, OR23 JUN 2012
110 Metres Hurdles13.35+1.8Eugene, OR04 JUN 2011
High Jump2.11Burnaby, CAN10 JUN 2012
Pole Vault5.30Eugene, OR23 JUN 2012
Long Jump8.23+0.8Eugene, OR22 JUN 2012
Shot Put15.40Palo Alto, CA30 MAR 2013
Discus Throw47.36Chula Vista, CA14 AUG 2011
Javelin Throw66.64San Luis Obispo, CA16 MAR 2013
Decathlon9039Eugene, OR23 JUN 2012
Decathlon Junior7155Indianapolis, IN21 JUN 2007

How has no one mentioned Gretzky? A different type of athlete than some others listed here perhaps, but hands down the most dominant player in his sport ever by a long shot. He has more assists alone than any other players has points (goals + assists). He also is the only player to accrue 200 points in a season and he did it 4 times.

I can see arguments for guys like Jim Thorpe, but I don't see how you can have a poll like this without at least including Gretzky - especially if you include LeBron who isn't even the best at his own sport!

How has no one mentioned Gretzky? A different type of athlete than some others listed here perhaps, but hands down the most dominant player in his sport ever by a long shot. He has more assists alone than any other players has points (goals + assists). He also is the only player to accrue 200 points in a season and he did it 4 times.

I can see arguments for guys like Jim Thorpe, but I don't see how you can have a poll like this without at least including Gretzky - especially if you include LeBron who isn't even the best at his own sport!

Well LeBron has received more votes than Ali. And everyone knows LeBron could be a two-sport athlete if he wanted to. Arguably the most ridiculous physical attributes of all time.

Back