• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest Drummers

Always thought Phil Rudd was underrated. He gets overlooked because his work is simple, but that's where his genius lies.

Gotta give a shout out to my nephew...Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me. May not be your kind of music, but he can flat out play.

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/blake-richardson-of-between-the-buried-and-me

Haven't heard of them, but just listened to them and, wow, you're right. When they go into the death metal stuff it's not really my cup of tea, but that is some impressive drumming and really pretty impressive all-around from the band as a whole. It's one thing to do progressive music, and quite another to speed it up tenfold and still pull it off.

For my money:

Elvin Jones
Jack DeJohnette
Jorge Rossy

Rock? Glenn Kotche is pretty damn good.

Actually talking to a drummer friend of mine today and he was praising Clem Burke, the drummer for Blondie, among others. Definitely a drummer in the Keith Moon, Buddy Rich vein.

Same friend once told me that anyone who speaks ill of Ringo's drumming has never played drums before (I heard a similar statement on a music program--Costello's Spectacle, maybe?) Ringo is left-handed and drums from his shoulders so his beats are just slightly off and, apparently, hard to get just right.

Actually talking to a drummer friend of mine today and he was praising Clem Burke, the drummer for Blondie, among others. Definitely a drummer in the Keith Moon, Buddy Rich vein.

Same friend once told me that anyone who speaks ill of Ringo's drumming has never played drums before (I heard a similar statement on a music program--Costello's Spectacle, maybe?) Ringo is left-handed and drums from his shoulders so his beats are just slightly off and, apparently, hard to get just right.

I don't play drums, so this doesn't really hit home for me, but I'm not sure why this makes him a "good" drummer. Maybe it explains why he shouldn't be considered bad?

Back