• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest Single Game Performance (Team or Player)

dstanleywfu

Reaction score
What is the single greatest performance you have ever seen? Mine would have to be my freshman year at western carolina.. we were playing Toccoa Falls, which is a small school in Georgia. Needless to say we demolished them and it was kind of pathetic, but we got free tacos out of it. It was the 3rd largest point difference in NCAA history.

images

Last edited:
I'm sticking with hoops here...

On TV in terms of Wake vs. a real team I'd have to say when we beat the shit out of Temple in Philly. Chaney's worst loss ever, I think. Definitely their worst loss at home.

Chill's 3 game performance in the ACC tourney was obviously a clinic.

Games that I saw in person...

Both Kenny Anderson and Bobby Hurley singlehandedly kicked our ass in the Joel. Hurley in particular in the second half after we razzed him about his DUI.

I also saw the Kings destroy the Mavs in Arco Arena. I think they beat them by 56 points or something obscene. It was funny because both teams at that time sucked balls. The idea that one of them could beat the other by that much was laughable.

The two greatest games I personally attended were at the Palestra.

LaSalle played Western Kentucky. LaSalle's star Kenny Durrett (6'7 SF) was one the greatest players you never heard of. In spite of having a torn ACL he was the 4th pick in the NBA and ABA drafts. Back then that injury was an automatic career ender.

Before the injury he was thought to be the best SF in the nation ahead of a guy named Julius Erving.

WKY was led by 7' All American Jim McDaniels. He was the #! pick in the ABA draft that year.

Durrett had 45 points about 25 rebounds, about ten assists and at least half a dozen blocks.

McDaniels had 42 or 44 points about 20 rebounds.

Nobody could stop either one of them.

Calvin Murphy came into the Palestra with his Niagara team (which was coached by longtime Utah Jazz Coach Frank Layden) to play LaSalle's Top 5 team.

Roland "Fatty" Taylor. Fatty was a multiple time All ABA 1st Team Defensive Team.

Calvin lit him up for 52 (without a three point line). Fatty was all over him. There was nothing any human could do to stop him.

The best team performance that I ever saw in person is was on December 7, 2000 when Wake absolutely destroyed Kansas.

I may get neg reped for this, but Christian Laettner's performance against Kentucky was about as perfect as it gets in a high stakes game. 10/10 FG, 10/10 FT, and arguably the greatest/most memorable shot in NCAA history to win the game.

I thought this was about games we personally attended.

Only pulling from my 4 years at Wake:

Team: basketball vs. UNC in 2005
Player: Downey vs. WVU
HM: Justin Gray guarding JJ Reddick in the Joel

I thought this was about games we personally attended.

If so, it wasn't clear by the thread title and it just says best that you have seen and doesn't clarify that that means in person.

that or watched on tv.. saying Chamberlin score 100 at Hershey, PA would be a stretch.. but games you attended is the best way to go about it

I listened to that one on my transistor radio and lost the radio for a few days because I screamed "Will scored 100" rather than being asleep.

The most important game I saw on TV was Texas Western/KY for the national championship.

The next most important game I saw on TV was MD/NC State ACC Final. It led directly to expanding the NCAAT.

The best Final Four performance was Walton going 21-22 from the field versus Larry Finch and Memphis State.

The Duke/KY game in Philly was the second best game behind MD/State.

Last edited:
The gratest individual performance I ever saw in person was when Charlie Davis lit up American University for 51 points (IIRC). (Still the Wake record.) He did it with no three point shot and by hitting some incredible baskets that seemed to be impossible to make. Thanks for the memories CD.

To show how times have changed. Wilt was making making more with the Globetrotters than he would have in the NBA. The Warriors' owner Eddie Gottleib actually gave Wilt a cut of the gate.

ya I have a basketball history book saying back in the early days some of the teams took the hand crank railroad carts to games because of money issues.. i think lebron wouldnt be too happy about that nowadays

ya I have a basketball history book saying back in the early days some of the teams took the hand crank railroad carts to games because of money issues.. i think lebron wouldnt be too happy about that nowadays

Not quite that bad but Irish's Kings are still trying to recover (and are jinxed) because their original owner in Rochester traded the right to draft Bill Russell or a few nights a year of the Ice Capades (the Celtics' owner owned the Ice Capades).

Back