• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greek System in general

White frats/sororities don't have nearly the inter-school brotherhood that black frats/sororities do.

Black frats seem to be more like national societies that have a meaning beyond college. I know we ("we" being white dudes) partied with other chapters of our frat in NC and made road trips for that purpose but the frat had no meaning after undergrad. Maybe a place to gather and tell stories at reunions, but by your thirties you are so far removed from college if you do go to homecoming you're more comfortable going to dinner and bars with people of your era than hanging around with 20 year olds (I think the 20 year olds would agree, unless you are writing a check).

I think the frats from bigger schools might intermingle more. My buddies at ECU would take road trips to football games down south like Southern Miss and would stop on the trip and stay with frat "brothers" at other places like UGA or Bama and then stay with "brothers" at Southern Miss etc.

Black frats seem to be more like national societies that have a meaning beyond college. I know we ("we" being white dudes) partied with other chapters of our frat in NC and made road trips for that purpose but the frat had no meaning after undergrad. Maybe a place to gather and tell stories at reunions, but by your thirties you are so far removed from college if you do go to homecoming you're more comfortable going to dinner and bars with people of your era than hanging around with 20 year olds (I think the 20 year olds would agree, unless you are writing a check).

And when you rush/pledge, you're being inducted into the national frat/sorority, so immediately the connection to the larger community is being made. The local chapter doesn't have a say as to whether or not you get in, IIRC.

And when you rush/pledge, you're being inducted into the national frat/sorority, so immediately the connection to the larger community is being made. The local chapter doesn't have a say as to whether or not you get in, IIRC.

:eek:

That sounds like a disaster.

Back