• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe 13th highest paid coach not in top 25 this year

I have no idea what this post means. I really hope you don't mean we can't laugh at UMD for dumping COY Fridge for 2-10 Edsell since Grobe, who has taken freakin WFU to five bowl games in eleven seasons, is also on the list.

If you're saying it in jest, I approve.

Our glass house can't be found at BB&T field, it's across the street.

Edsall and Buzz are strikingly similar

How much does Bzz make? I was under the impression that he was nowhere near the Top 25 highest paid CBB coaches who aren't a Top 25 team, which is really the premise of the article.

Last edited:
How much does Bzz make? I was under the impression that he was nowhere near the Top 25 highest paid CBB coaches who aren't a Top 25 team, which is really the premise of the article.

$1M maybe? You're right that they aren't similar in that regard.

I was speaking to the overall impact they had on their respective programs.

Speculation is $1.1-2. The pay scale for basketball coaches is quite a bit lower than it is for football coaches, but you're right that he likely wouldn't have made this list if it had been for basketball.

Edsall and Buzz are strikingly similar

True but Edsall's hiring made more sense on the surface...

Edsall & UConn pre-Big East affiliation (FBS) might align w/ Bz & AFA; but Bz's 0-1 NCAA Tournament record @ CU & AFA is a long way from Edsall's five bowl game appearances (including a BCS birth) resume coming out of UConn.

Of coaches that failed to make a bowl, Edsall is the 4th highest paid.

Of coaches that haven't been fired, Edsall is the 14th highest paid.

Of coaches that failed to make a bowl and haven't been fired, Edsall is the 2nd highest paid.

Why was Turner Gill making over $2m+? He was thought to be a good hire, but was not exactly a hot name.

Why was Turner Gill making over $2m+? He was thought to be a good hire, but was not exactly a hot name.

For the same reason Edsall has a 6 year guaranteed contract. Stupid AD's.

Turner Gill has completely fallen off the map. 3 years ago he was such a hot name out there. He completely flamed out at Kansas, but I still think he can coach..he turned Buffalo into a winner...

$2,000,000/year is a hard number for most people to comprehend.

That direct deposit payment in your bank account must look so good twice a month - with taxes taken out, it would still be between $60000-$70000 twice a month.

a couple close games away from being ranked as well, at least before vandy.

And do not forget a very lucky win against the loveable losers in Durham from being 5-7 aand not bowl eligible.

The truth of the matter is we got lucky with some very good coaching at times of the season, like the Maryland and Boston College games. Some very bad coaching when we gave up a huge lead at Syracuse. We got lucky in that we played Florida State with a different quarterback for the first half of the game. We played terrible games against North Carolina and Vanderbilt and the team was just not ready to play. NC State runs all over North Carolina, we get run all over by North Carolina and we kill NC State for most of the game before our highly conservative play almost cost us.

We had a season that could have gone anywhere from 9-3 to 4-8. We ended up at 6-6 and get to go to a bowl. 70 teams in college football out of just over 100 get to go to bowls now. It is just not that big of a deal but is much worse if you do not go bowling. When we are paying what we are paying, we should be at least making a bowl game.

Wow, I had no idea Kirk Ferentz is the 5th highest paid coach in the nation.

Every time a list like this is posted someone makes this comment (including myself). He has been up there for a long time and it really is baffling.

Back