• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe in Charlotte

Deac1966

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
Did anyone attend the Deacon Club coaches tour in Charlotte last night? Anything new and exciting from Coach Grobe?

New and exciting? From Grobe?

I was out having drinks with some Deacons in Charlotte earlier this week. All long-time fans and at least one very significant donor. There's a general "meh" taking hold throughout Deacondom. Guys who signed up for seats rights and luxury suites are now giving the DC minimum and are considering buying hill tickets just in case they want to go into the game and find an empty seat.

Last edited:

I was out having drinks with some Deacons in Charlotte earlier this week. All long-time fans and at least one very significant donor. There's a general "meh" taking hold throughout Deacondom. Guys who signed up for seats rights and luxury suites are now giving the DC minimum and are considering buying hill tickets just in case they want to go into the game and find an empty seat.

I was a PSL guy. Gave those up and will not be making any Deacon Club donation.

I think someone might be at the event in Raleigh tonight, but I can't be sure

I was there and for the sentiment expressed in Racer's post, expected it to be a thin crowd. It was actually pretty well attended. Maybe a couple of hundred people? Seemed like more than last year.

I was there, as well. Alphonso Smith was on the panel, and it was fun to hear him reminisce about the 2006 season. He's a tremendously nice and engaging young man and makes for a great representative of the school.

Grobe was predictably entertaining - I left more excited about football than before I arrived. He confirmed that Harris is having academic issues, but denied that he was officially ineligible at this time. He told some stories illustrating why it's frustrating to play true freshmen that were quite funny.

All of the FB games will be broadcast on 610 The Fan in CLT. Sounds like if you want to buy some advertising, you can get a real deal.

Wellman recited the same talking points you've all heard about Buzz and the basketball program, the purchase of LJVMC and the grant of rights. Nobody really pushed him on Buzz - I think we're all too beaten down. He politely told one questioner that there was no chance we'd start a lacrosse program in the near future.

Phonz told me last night that the Dart Board story was true. . .not that I doubted it. But it was cool to get confirmation directly from the source.

This thread would be better if it was started by the Haas parody

tdf - I'd rather let one of Phonz's class mates tell the story. I probably wouldn't do it justice.

tdf - I'd rather let one of Phonz's class mates tell the story. I probably wouldn't do it justice.

It's an awesome story if you can get someone to tell it.

Back